ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException with jview

ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException with jview

Matthew Ashton
Hi everyone,

I am getting an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when I try to compile
anything using jview.exe from Microsoft's IE 4.01. Sun's java.exe works
just fine.

The exact error:

E:\New>jview COM.ibm.netrexx.process.NetRexxC hello.nrx -nocompile
NetRexx portable processor, version 1.132
Copyright (c) IBM Corporation, 1998.  All rights reserved.

ERROR: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

I noticed on the web page, that it said:

An ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when compiling hello.nrx under AIX is
caused by an early faulty JIT. Either disable the JIT (as for OS/2) or
update your AIX Java SDK.

But makes no mention of this problem with jview.
The error occurs very soon after the copyright is displayed.

Is this a bug? Whose bug is it? Any suggestions are welcome.

---
Matthew Ashton <[hidden email]>

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException with jview, and other MSJVM j

Peter Ortner
Hi,

On 21 Apr 98 at 3:16, Matthew Ashton wrote:

> I am getting an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when I try to compile
> anything using jview.exe from Microsoft's IE 4.01. Sun's java.exe
> works just fine.
>
> The exact error:
>
> E:\New>jview COM.ibm.netrexx.process.NetRexxC hello.nrx -nocompile
> NetRexx portable processor, version 1.132 Copyright (c) IBM
> Corporation, 1998.  All rights reserved.
>
> ERROR: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
>
> I noticed on the web page, that it said:
>
> An ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when compiling hello.nrx under AIX
> is caused by an early faulty JIT. Either disable the JIT (as for
> OS/2) or update your AIX Java SDK.
>
> But makes no mention of this problem with jview.
> The error occurs very soon after the copyright is displayed.
>
> Is this a bug? Whose bug is it? Any suggestions are welcome.

I have run into this bug too. If I use another version of NetRexx,
the problem disappears. Inexplicably, this occurs irrelevant to the
updates that have occurred to NetRexx. IE the bug occurs in say (this
is not nessecarily your truth, YMMV) 1.128, 1.132 but not 1.130.

Make sure you have packed your files under the MS JVM, ala CLSPACK
-auto so that NetRexx can find the class definitions.

Also, make sure that you have updated the Java VM, too (choose
Product Updates from the Help menu in Microsoft Internet Exploder).
Sometimes the updates don't seem to stick (it's usually due to a
corrupt file being downloaded by your ISP, or ActiveSetup crashing).

Although Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine gives a welcome performance
improvement, cutting times in half, the IBM High Performance Compiler
for Java cuts these times down by 40% again (my testing, on a 64MB
machine compiling Pinger). My configuration is to use a NetRexx
compiler built by HPCJ, and then use the Microsoft Java compiler to
produce the bytecode.

Using the Microsoft Java bytecode compiler is a great time saver.
Something that takes around 40 seconds with the Sun compiler takes
around 1 with the Microsoft one (the compiling includes
optimisation).

Regards,
Peter.

---
Drop your carrier ... we have you surrounded!

---
http://portner.home.ml.org/ (Web Page)
[hidden email] (Internet E-mail)
Peter Ortner, 3:620/243 (FidoNet)

For info about sending urgent messages, send a mail
with subject SEND ICQINFO.TXT

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException with jview, and other MSJVM j

Peter Ortner
Hi,

On 21 Apr 98 at 3:16, Matthew Ashton wrote:

> I am getting an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when I try to compile
> anything using jview.exe from Microsoft's IE 4.01. Sun's java.exe
> works just fine.
>
> The exact error:
>
> E:\New>jview COM.ibm.netrexx.process.NetRexxC hello.nrx -nocompile
> NetRexx portable processor, version 1.132 Copyright (c) IBM
> Corporation, 1998.  All rights reserved.
>
> ERROR: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
>
> I noticed on the web page, that it said:
>
> An ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when compiling hello.nrx under AIX
> is caused by an early faulty JIT. Either disable the JIT (as for
> OS/2) or update your AIX Java SDK.
>
> But makes no mention of this problem with jview.
> The error occurs very soon after the copyright is displayed.
>
> Is this a bug? Whose bug is it? Any suggestions are welcome.

I have run into this bug too. If I use another version of NetRexx,
the problem disappears. Inexplicably, this occurs irrelevant to the
updates that have occurred to NetRexx. IE the bug occurs in say (this
is not nessecarily your truth, YMMV) 1.128, 1.132 but not 1.130.

Make sure you have packed your files under the MS JVM, ala CLSPACK
-auto so that NetRexx can find the class definitions.

Also, make sure that you have updated the Java VM, too (choose
Product Updates from the Help menu in Microsoft Internet Exploder).
Sometimes the updates don't seem to stick (it's usually due to a
corrupt file being downloaded by your ISP, or ActiveSetup crashing).

Although Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine gives a welcome performance
improvement, cutting times in half, the IBM High Performance Compiler
for Java cuts these times down by 40% again (my testing, on a 64MB
machine compiling Pinger). My configuration is to use a NetRexx
compiler built by HPCJ, and then use the Microsoft Java compiler to
produce the bytecode.

Using the Microsoft Java bytecode compiler is a great time saver.
Something that takes around 40 seconds with the Sun compiler takes
around 1 with the Microsoft one (the compiling includes
optimisation).

Regards,
Peter.

---
Don't lend people money.  It causes amnesia.

---
http://portner.home.ml.org/ (Web Page)
[hidden email] (Internet E-mail)
Peter Ortner, 3:620/243 (FidoNet)

For info about sending urgent messages, send a mail
with subject SEND ICQINFO.TXT

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException with jview, and other MSJVM j

mcbrides
--- some text deleted ---

>Although Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine gives a welcome performance
>improvement, cutting times in half, the IBM High Performance Compiler
>for Java cuts these times down by 40% again (my testing, on a 64MB
>machine compiling Pinger). My configuration is to use a NetRexx
>compiler built by HPCJ, and then use the Microsoft Java compiler to
>produce the bytecode.

You gotta' watch out... Although the HPJC creates a greased lightening version
of NetRexx, HPJC will let you down when you least expect it to. It's still
beta and I "would not" recommend anyone putting software compiled this way into
any situation that calls for reliabilty. It's useful for comparisons and small,
wee glimses into the future of Java, but not much else.

--

| Jerry McBride                       |