Compiling NetRexx-sources with NetRexx ?

Re: Compiling NetRexx-sources with NetRexx ?

rvjansen
Yes, that was the example below. Compiling from string works fine, what is discussed here is producing the class file. We have to look into that.

René.

On 8 Mar 2018, at 04:35, Hugh Sweeney <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 8 March 2018 at 08:25, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

This message is for Rene Vincent Jansen:

I thought that Kermit Kiser did already implement an API to Generate the Java Code to a string !

AND TO COMPILE IT FROM THERE !

IS THAT NOT WORKING ?

THOMAS:

That sounds like this one http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/NetRexx-JSR199-Compiler-API-support-td4027407.html
Hugh

Re: Compiling NetRexx-sources with NetRexx ?

ThSITC

Hi Rony, Rene, and all:

Wouldn't it be be a valuable idea to have a new option, eg. -nofiles, to tell NetRexx to generate NO Java file at all on the disk and use the Core API Kermit already implemented.

Rene,

also when your did resolve the open issue Rony indicated:

When You did resolve this, I am willing to assist to test this with the numerous

NetRexx programs I do have on my desk.

Kindly, Thomas Schneider

Am 08.03.2018 um 14:29 schrieb Thomas Schneider:

HUGH: Thanks for the below URL :-) Did forget already the details Kermit wrote on Kenai :-(

RENE, RONY:  WOULD YOU NEED ASSISTANCE IN TESTING THIS IN PURE NETREXX?

Thomas.
Am 08.03.2018 um 09:35 schrieb Hugh Sweeney:
On 8 March 2018 at 08:25, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

This message is for Rene Vincent Jansen:

I thought that Kermit Kiser did already implement an API to Generate the Java Code to a string !

AND TO COMPILE IT FROM THERE !

IS THAT NOT WORKING ?

THOMAS:

That sounds like this one http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/NetRexx-JSR199-Compiler-API-support-td4027407.html
Hugh

Re: Compiling NetRexx-sources with NetRexx ?

rvjansen
Hi Thomas,

When I am not mistaken, that option is already in place. Am going to look into that shortly, as we have all the infrastructure in place to do that even for the .class file.

Best regards,

René.

On 14 Mar 2018, at 09:29, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Rene,

I did yesterday re-read the NetRexx 3.06-beta Language-Reference, specifically the OPTIONS section.

I couldn't find, however, a new option (as -nofiles, as I did propose) to force NetRexxC to generate the whole Java source into a single string, so that it stays *invisible*,  Rony requests, when I did understand his requirement correctly.

As far as I do know, there are currently 2 behaviours of NetrexxC the user can control via an option:

the default:

NetRexxC generates 1 Java line by 1 NetRexxC source line.  This ensures, that run-time error tracebacks do report the original netrexx source line.

This also implies, that all auxiliary variables, as the $nnn-constant variables for string literals do go to line 1 of the generated class, etc.

option -format:

with this option, each generated Java Sourc line goes to an own line. Then, of course, run-time error tracebacks are no longer meaningful to the user. Thus, option -format shall be only used together with option -keep or -keepasjava

What the new NetRexxC feature Kermit did implement does, is generating the whole Java program to a single string.

I cannot find a compiler option to force this behaviour. Of course, all run-time errors would then refer to line 1 of the generated program, as it has only one line ;-)

Have a reluctant weekend, anyway, all,

Thomas Schneider, Vienna, Austria

www.db-123.comwww.thsitc.com

PS: As You know, I am working on an -ecj vs. -javac benchmark test. It might be interesting to see the differences, when a new option (e.g. -nofiles) to force this behaviour would be available.

Am 14.03.2018 um 15:05 schrieb René Jansen:
[...]

May I *give You* a BIG sample:

All if THIS Code is now in PURE NetRexx .... ;-)

Kindly, Thomas Schneider, Vienna, Austria (Europe: NO Kangorooh's EXCEPT
ME ;-) )

Am 26.02.2018 um 10:30 schrieb Mike Cowlishaw:

>> Maybe a question that can be answered quickly by the ones in
>> the know: is it possible to use NetRexx to compile NetRexx
>> code? If so, which class, which method, or even better: is
>> there a sample somewhere?
> The NetRexx compiler is written in NetRexx, if that's what you're asking.
>
> Mike

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OR7KVUjxZgzKiQtWkVowDsJNAo9RVsXiQwEyF5HiKzs&s=Z1GTRy5fqcM1y4ZZXrLZP0iOxlVgEuGljG5yXilPFfM&e=

---
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OR7KVUjxZgzKiQtWkVowDsJNAo9RVsXiQwEyF5HiKzs&s=Rzpon1vaX1Lpcx8YooxHXOJNy7P426dyPwYkrJnUDao&e=