Could We make something that *.nrx~ do not become compiled by NRC ?

Could We make something that *.nrx~ do not become compiled by NRC ?

ThSITC
Hello Rene, and all,

as you all might know, Windows JEDIT does use the extension 'name.nrx~'
as its internat backup file names.

Could we please do something that those backup files (with the tilde as
the last character) do not become compiled  when NRC  is invoked?

This really worries only Windows 10 users using JEDIT, of course.

But it would be really nice when NRC would skip those internal BACKUP
files from compilation...

Kermit Kiser, when still alive, did promise to take care of this, but
unfortunately did die before done.

Sorry, Kermit Kiser, by the way, that You have gone much too early for
the ibm-netrexx community !

Requiescat in Pace.

Thomas Schneider.

Re: Could We make something that *.nrx~ do not become compiled by NRC ?

rvjansen
Hi Thomas,

Emacs, which I use if I am not using Xedit or ISPF/PDF, does the same thing, with the twiddle exactly. I never have that problem. I must be your build procedure or OS.

best regards,

René

> On 27 Nov 2019, at 08:32, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Rene, and all,
>
> as you all might know, Windows JEDIT does use the extension 'name.nrx~' as its internat backup file names.
>
> Could we please do something that those backup files (with the tilde as the last character) do not become compiled  when NRC  is invoked?
>
> This really worries only Windows 10 users using JEDIT, of course.
>
> But it would be really nice when NRC would skip those internal BACKUP files from compilation...
>
> Kermit Kiser, when still alive, did promise to take care of this, but unfortunately did die before done.
>
> Sorry, Kermit Kiser, by the way, that You have gone much too early for the ibm-netrexx community !
>
> Requiescat in Pace.
>
> Thomas Schneider.

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=YWbxKk9Xm_1a1--XHaIM3eIOjrjeCrZD-QJmN_PmIX4&s=909yeMa_GT3yorQONOt-XQjpYdL5ePnPMvGXHaaL5cA&e=

Re: Could We make something that *.nrx~ do not become compiled by NRC ?

ThSITC
Rene,

for sure: it's not my own build system.

If I do an:

NCR *.nrx

on my own Windows 10 System (with nothing modified at all), it does
attempt to compile the older *.nrx~ files as well ...

But maybe that is a Windows 10 FEATURE <GRIN>

Thomas.

======================================================================================================

Am 27.11.2019 um 14:47 schrieb René Jansen:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Emacs, which I use if I am not using Xedit or ISPF/PDF, does the same thing, with the twiddle exactly. I never have that problem. I must be your build procedure or OS.
>
> best regards,
>
> René
>
>> On 27 Nov 2019, at 08:32, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Rene, and all,
>>
>> as you all might know, Windows JEDIT does use the extension 'name.nrx~' as its internat backup file names.
>>
>> Could we please do something that those backup files (with the tilde as the last character) do not become compiled  when NRC  is invoked?
>>
>> This really worries only Windows 10 users using JEDIT, of course.
>>
>> But it would be really nice when NRC would skip those internal BACKUP files from compilation...
>>
>> Kermit Kiser, when still alive, did promise to take care of this, but unfortunately did die before done.
>>
>> Sorry, Kermit Kiser, by the way, that You have gone much too early for the ibm-netrexx community !
>>
>> Requiescat in Pace.
>>
>> Thomas Schneider.

>> [hidden email]
>> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=YWbxKk9Xm_1a1--XHaIM3eIOjrjeCrZD-QJmN_PmIX4&s=909yeMa_GT3yorQONOt-XQjpYdL5ePnPMvGXHaaL5cA&e=

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=4xTnjq_hWCzEoeYIJpGmjqc4nxbdo45A8HyHiR7mUfQ&s=X8kmwmDfDT-G0H-6PJq8QJyxuxrvzXsgeuKV-LAS5N0&e=

Re: Could We make something that *.nrx~ do not become compiled by NRC ?

rvjansen
Thomas,

maybe try nrc “*.nrx “

Or possible Jedit has a setting in which you can change ~ to .backup, or something else.
NetRexx just compiles what it has been fed by the shell. You might be able to tweak the nrc and NetRexxC.bat files, probably that is what Kermit hinted at.

best regards,

René

On 27 Nov 2019, at 10:14, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Don't want to try nrc "*.nrx* ...

I want to use nrc *.nrx ...

But obviously. when I do read out mail correspondance right, Windows 10 does append a * at the end of the command given, as an unwanted and unneccessary aid ...

You might know windows, a bit:

It is sometimes too much HELPFUL ...

Thus, simply put in a check in the NetRexx Compiler, that files ending with a TILDE (or Twiddle, as Rony does say) are NOT compiled.

That's the only hint I do have at this minute!

Thomas.

Am 27.11.2019 um 15:24 schrieb René Jansen:
[...]

I googled it for you:

this is taken from the docs:
---snip---
The Max number of backups setting determines the number of backups to save. Setting this to zero disables the backup feature. Settings this to more than one adds numbered suffixes to file names. By default only one backup is saved.
---snip---

Utilities->Global Options->Autosave&Backup->Set "Max number of backups" to 0

Also, if you want one backup without a number, send it to another directory, the same Jedit dialog will help you with that.

If some NetRexx user wants to compile *.nrx~ files, I do not want them to have a problem, so I will do nothing to NetRexx in this regard.

best regards,

René.

On 27 Nov 2019, at 10:44, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Online Archive :
http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Re: Could We make something that *.nrx~ do not become compiled by NRC ?

ThSITC

OK! Shall again read on this WEEKEND, however, THE EARLIEST !

Am currently BUSY with building my release ... Sorry to say so ... NO TIME FRAME LEFT FOR NEW NEWS ....

Thomas.