FW: NetRexx Null

Wiley Vasquez (Irv Exch)
  I have a problem that I am stumped with.  I am trying to write a java
application using NetRexx that allows the user to issue a command, have that
command run on a particular system and have the output returned to stdout.
The code I am including has two subtle problems.  First, when I issue a
command it appears to go into an endless wait loop waiting for null.  For
some reason it can not detect that the output of the command is completed.
Secondly I am running this on a Windows95 platform and I can only seem to
run .bat files from which I have then to execute the .exe that I really want
to run directly.  I am not sure but it appears to be an internal program
error with the way null is being handled.  I have reviewed several other
samples of trying to do similar processing but with no success.
  Can you please provde me some input to this problem?  I would greatly
appreciate the push over the hill so I can get going again on my own.
Thanks!

/* chkdir.nrx */

parse arg cmd .

 do
   child = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd) -- program start

   -- read input from child process
   in   = BufferedReader(InputStreamReader(child.getInputStream()))
   line = in.readline

     loop while line \= null
        say line

        line = in.readline()
     end

   -- wait for exit of child process and check return code

   child.waitFor()
     if child.exitValue() \= 0 then
        say cmd ' return code' child.exitValue()

   catch IOException
        say 'Sorry cannot find' cmd
   catch e2=InterruptedException
        e2.printStackTrace()

 end

 <<RUNCMD.NRX>>  <<RUNCMD~1.CLA>>

RUNCMD.NRX (639 bytes) Download Attachment
RUNCMD~1.CLA (2K) Download Attachment