FastCompany article

Mike Cowlishaw-3
The FastCompany article mentioned here a couple of weeks ago is now
available online, at:

  http://www.fastcompany.com/11/ibm.html

--
Mike Cowlishaw
IBM Fellow, IBM UK Laboratories

Re: FastCompany article

dIon Gillard-3
On Fri, 17 Oct 97 09:04:45 BST, Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

>The FastCompany article mentioned here a couple of weeks ago is now
>available online, at:
I think the amazing part of the story is the after effect of Mike's work....

I remember at ColoradOS/2 in October 95, meeting and talking to Mike, seeing
his Java and port (of course now he has to shoot me for saying this), and
asking what Java was....I think I talked to Mike for a whole 10 minutes, but
left enthused and inspired to learn Java....a few months later, after buying
books and playing with software a friend of mine told me about NetRexx, and I
was sold....at that point I got into it in a major way.

Thus came the FAQ, FAC and API pages, along with a lot of work in Java for me.

Two years later, I'm presenting at the Colorado Software Summit (the OS/2
conference became a Java conference). Without talking to Mike in those early
days, I'm sure my Java knowledge would be well behind where it is today.

Mike didn't try to sell me on Java at the time, he just told me what it was,
and the promise it held...it sold itself. Once I saw NetRexx, I was in heaven,
being a long time Rexx developer.

For me OORexx could have done this, as it was around at the same time -
generate bytecodes, rather than tokenise (or tokenise to bytecodes - there's an
idea), but it didn't, and for me, cross-platform code is increasinly where it's
at.

Mike,

many thanks from the other side of the world!
dIon, Multitask Consulting
Work: http://www.multitask.com.au
NetRexx: http://www.multitask.com.au/netrexx
RxExtras: http://www.multitask.com.au/rxextras