Fwd: Re: [RexxLA] WinXP -> Win7 woes

Kermit Kiser

FYI 2 for those not on the RexxLA list.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [RexxLA] WinXP -> Win7 woes
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:42:19 -0700
From: Kermit Kiser [hidden email]

Thanks Mike. I researched it some more and found that Microsoft has dumbed down Windows now to the point that correct associations cannot be done by native GUI but instead require trick registry editing or command line entries. The following commands worked for me to allow my NetRexx scripts to run in interpreted mode:

set pathext=%pathext%;.nrx

assoc .nrx=NetRexx.script

ftype NetRexx.script="C:\NetRexx\NetRexx304\NetRexx-3.04GA\bin\NetRexxC.bat" -exec "%1"

(obviously adjust directory to correct location for your system!)

Making compile and run work is a bit trickier because while NetRexx works with the file names windows passes, the java command requires class names. If I get time, I will try to modify the scripts and also get the NetRexx installers updated to optionally set this stuff up. Unix should be easy by comparison!

On 9/24/2016 11:59 PM, mfc wrote:
Yeah Kermit, NetRexx was what I had in mind when I mentioned Java based
processors. Hopefully someone on this forum has done it.

The design goal, of course, it that given a NetRexx script called test.nrx,
a Windows command prompt would know what to do with just test.

Pretty sure I did this, long ago.  NetRexx came with/comes with a 'compile and run' script in various languages (including Rexx) and I think all you have to do is associate .nrx with that script.

Mike

Attached Message Part (167 bytes) Download Attachment