How to read crossref file

Jason Martin
Was there or is there a guide to reading the crossref file.
I went all the way back to 1998 in the stuff I have and could not find anything.
Not necessarily just for me.

Re: How to read crossref file

rvjansen
Not that I know of. I always considered it as a given from the PL/I and COBOL days. Not to spark a discussion, but I never use them, because I prefer my variable references to be very short-lived, by localizing them to stack based ones. The few remaining globals I can remember most of the time.

I will have a look.

best regards,

René.

> On 3 mei 2016, at 19:05, Jason Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Was there or is there a guide to reading the crossref file.
> I went all the way back to 1998 in the stuff I have and could not find anything.
> Not necessarily just for me.

Re: How to read crossref file

christel.u.w.pachl christel.u.w.pachl

which crossref ar you talking about?

I know about the one produced by the Rexx Compiler (on the big iron)

Walter

Jason Martin <[hidden email]> hat am 3. Mai 2016 um 13:05 geschrieben:

Was there or is there a guide to reading the crossref file.
I went all the way back to 1998 in the stuff I have and could not find anything.
Not necessarily just for me.

Re: How to read crossref file

Jason Martin
The one you get when you compile a NetRexx program with -crossref option

What do the letter codes mean a, v, p?
Why do some lines start #= and others just letter code and line #'s

--- Variables for class NetRexxS ---
args      String[]       a 98 101 102 102 102
compiler  NetRexxC       p 23 89
ex        IOException    v 60= 61
filecount int            p 30 36= 45= 87 87=
i         int            v 82= 83 83 84
items     Rexx           v 80= 81 82 88
lapsed    long           p 28 35= 44=
line      Rexx           v 70= 71 80 83 87
port      Rexx           a 54 56 57
port_     Rexx           a 41 42
rd        BufferedReader p 24 68= 70
retCode   int            v 89= 90
sock      Socket         p 22 67= 68 69
srv       ServerSocket   p 21 56= 67
startTime long           p 26 34= 43=
strAr     String[]       v 81= 83= 84 88= 89
wr        PrintWriter    p 25 69= 89 90 91 92

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Jason Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Was there or is there a guide to reading the crossref file.
I went all the way back to 1998 in the stuff I have and could not find anything.
Not necessarily just for me.

Re: How to read crossref file

Mike Cowlishaw

The one you get when you compile a NetRexx program with -crossref option

What do the letter codes mean a, v, p?

From memory:  Argument, local Variable, Property

 Why do some lines start #= and others just letter code and line #'s

Again from memory, the '=' indicates that the value of the variable is changed on that line (as opposed to just being used).

Mike

[...]

Thanks, I mostly ask so a new user can read the file.
I see letter codes none,a,c,p,v.
I will look at the source to figure out what they mean.
Thanks again about the = sign.

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Jason Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Was there or is there a guide to reading the crossref file.
I went all the way back to 1998 in the stuff I have and could not find anything.
Not necessarily just for me.

Re: How to read crossref file

Mike Cowlishaw

Thanks, I mostly ask so a new user can read the file.
I see letter codes none,a,c,p,v.

Could be 'none' is local/automatic variable.  'c' might be 'constant'?
This was never part of language so wouldn't be in the book, but I'd have thought I would have documented it somewhere :-(.  Apologies.

 I will look at the source to figure out what they mean.

OK!  A summary would be good when you have decoded it .. I remember a lot of effort went into making that work correctly.

Thanks again about the = sign.

:-)  I remember that being especially useful on occasion, when some variable was referred-to dozens of times but only got changed in three places -- one of which one had forgotten, but of course that case was always the culprit for some weird behaviour ...

Mike

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Jason Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Was there or is there a guide to reading the crossref file.
I went all the way back to 1998 in the stuff I have and could not find anything.
Not necessarily just for me.

Re: How to read crossref file

Jason Martin
From the source I see:

a -- argument
c -- a constant
p -- a property
s -- a static
v -- local variable

= -- value of variable changed

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Jason Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Was there or is there a guide to reading the crossref file.
I went all the way back to 1998 in the stuff I have and could not find anything.
Not necessarily just for me.

Re: How to read crossref file

Mike Cowlishaw
OK thanks!