License question about port?

Jason Martin
I am about finished with a Vala port of the NetRexx runtime.

Main Rexx.vala passes 439 assertions of all the 240 some individual returns in the library.

Still need assertions for Parse, Util, Words, etc..

I am still undecided about giving 64 bit signed/unsigned integers their own methods.

My main question is the GNU Lesser General Public License I used.

Being that it as a port and does not use Java in any form,

I am legally required to use or include the ICU?

Example file below:

/*
 * rexxnode.vala
 *
 * A GObject based port of the NetRexx <http://www.netrexx.org/> runtime
 * library by Mike Cowlishaw, RexxLA <http://rexxla.org/> and others.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2015 Jason Monroe Martin
 *
 * This library is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it
 * under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published
 * by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
 * WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 * See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
 * along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.";
 *
 * Author:
 * Jason Monroe Martin <[hidden email]>
 */

/**
 * This class defines a Rexx stem node.
 * It is used to provide a reference to a Rexx object.
 */
public sealed class RexxNode : Object {

/* ----- Properties ----- */

/**
* The data item owned by this node.
*/
public Rexx leaf;

/**
* The data item when the node was constructed.
*/
public Rexx initleaf;

/* ----- Constructors ----- */

/**
* Make a Rexx node
*/
public RexxNode(Rexx argleaf) {
base();
leaf = argleaf;
initleaf = argleaf;
return;
}
}

Re: License question about port?

Mike Cowlishaw
Hi Jason,

My main question is the GNU Lesser General Public License I used.

Being that it as a port and does not use Java in any form,

I am legally required to use or include the ICU?

This has nothing to do with Java and its licence(s).

If it's a translation/port of code that I wrote then I would hope you feel morally obliged to make it at least as freely available as the licence I negotiated for that code.  So please, yes, use the ICU or similar (e.g., MIT) licence.

Thanks -- Mike

Re: License question about port?

Jason Martin
Does this look ok. ICU is a little confusing.

I understand that  Copyright (c) 1995-2015 International B.... applies to the owner of who created the actual license, right?

But do I have the right to reformat it to fit 80 characters? After all, it is copyrighted.

/*
 * rexxnode.vala
 *
 * A GObject based port of the NetRexx <http://www.netrexx.org/> runtime
 * library by Mike Cowlishaw, RexxLA <http://rexxla.org/> and others.
 *
 * ICU License - ICU 1.8.1 and later
 *
 * COPYRIGHT AND PERMISSION NOTICE
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1995-2015 International Business Machines Corporation and others
 *
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
 * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
 * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or sell
 * copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
 * furnished to do so, provided that the above copyright notice(s) and this
 * permission notice appear in all copies of the Software and that both the
 * above copyright notice(s) and this permission notice appear in supporting
 * documentation.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.
 * IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR HOLDERS INCLUDED IN THIS NOTICE
 * BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, OR ANY SPECIAL INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES,
 * OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
 * WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
 * ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
 *
 * Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall not
 * be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
 * dealings in this Software without prior written authorization of the
 * copyright holder.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2015 Jason Monroe Martin
 *
 * Author:
[...]

 * Author:
[...]

Yes .. all licences are confusing, it seems :-(

I understand that  Copyright (c) 1995-2015 International B.... applies to the owner of who created the actual license, right?

The copyright notice applies to the authorship of the  following text (code, in this case) so I think something like:

    COPYRIGHT AND PERMISSION NOTICE

     Copyright  2015 Jason Monroe Martin; parts Copyright (c) Mike Cowlishaw, 1996-2012 and Copyright (c) IBM, 1996-2009.

(dates appropriate to the code)  would do it.

But do I have the right to reformat it to fit 80 characters? After all, it is copyrighted.

(Re-)formatting does not affect copyright.  Copyright just acknowledges the author(s) of the ode, not how it is presented.   (For example, reprinting a book in a different font does not make it a 'new work'.)

Mike

/*
 * rexxnode.vala
 *
[...]
 * Author:
[...]

 * Author:
[...]

I just used  the ISC license template from OpenBSD.

Not as confusing for me and as free as you can get.

[...]

 * Author: