NetRexx 3.05 GA released and available immediately

NetRexx 3.05 GA released and available immediately

rvjansen
NetRexx 3.05 is now released and generally available from the netrexx.org website. It contains the following enhancements:

- First release after Kermit Kiser's passing. He will be remembered fondly for all his work on Netrexx after its open sourcing. This release is dedicated to his memory.
- NetRexx has moved to Git on SourceForge for version management. We still need to move to the new issue tracker; therefore, the below fixes have no issues attached.
- A new level of the Eclipse Java Compiler in NetRexxF.jar (4.6.3) enabling java 1.8 bytecode and general improvements to java->bytecode compiles
- A build error on IBM's J9 JVM's was fixed
- The org.netrexx.address package was added as a foundation for OS shell interaction. Its source is in the examples/os directory.
- New documentary comments in nrc.bat and NetRexxC.bat for windows (Kermit Kiser)
- Java2Nrx and sysutils tools moved from contrib repository to tools (Marc Remes)
- All examples are now versioned under the master branch
- A fix for the RexxComparator class (used when Rexx objects are added to collections)
- Various fixes and additions to documents, and a (new but rather incomplete) njpipes document.

Please upgrade your installations if possible. As with 3.04, the minimally supported JVM level is 1.6.
As 3.05 passes all the testcases and has been used for more than a year in different production environments, we have confidence that there will be no further development on the 3.05 branch.
Problems can be reported in the new SourceForge issue tracker, but will likely be fixed only in 3.06, of which the first beta release will be available today.

For development-only, I would advise to skip to 3.06 and have 3.05 available. For working installations, only the NetRexxF.jar or the NetRexxC.jar needs to be replaced. For new installs, please have a look at the read.me.first document in the root of the distribution, or read the QuickStart Guide, which is a PDF document that can be found in the documentation subdirectory.

best regards,

René Vincent Jansen.

Re: NetRexx 3.05 GA released and available immediately

ThSITC

Hi Rene,

I am in the process to fix my own bugs in my Rey and PP Software, as well as to update my home-pages ...

What shall I actually do to help You in Your work on getting NetRexx 4 a reality?

use NetRexx 3.05 *or* NetRexx 3.06 ? *Or* both ?

As a matter of fact, I did already establish a nrcboth.bat Windows batch file with does compile

a module both using -javac and -jce and does compare the compile time as well as the size of the

generated class files.

Would that help then I do compile my own soft using this to have some Benchmark-statement on the two compilers available?

I do have to say, however, that my actual knowledge of Java is very low, whil'st I think of NetRexx is quite adequate ...

Thanks for any feedback I do get,

Thomas Schneider

==========================================================================================================

Am 28.04.2017 um 12:32 schrieb René Jansen:
[...]

Hi Thomas,

from now on I would use 3.06 because 3.05 has little change, and we must test 3.06, which has changes to RxParse.nrx, very well. Also, in 3.07 I will add ADDRESS [WITH] which will be another change to the parser.

I would welcome your experiments with ecj and javac, and maybe you could publish these on a blog or in an article.

Other work that would be very welcome is:

- complete the Pipes for NetRexx manual
- deliver some more examples for Pipes for NetRexx - the current examples are more like testcases
- lift the current NetRexx jUnit testcases into the current version of jUnit- this must be possible now there are annotations possible; but the proof of the pudding is in the eating
- enter a subset of the current Kenai issues in the SourceForge ticketing system. ( I would propose only open tickets on recent versions).

As you can see, enough work. All help is very much appreciated.

best regards,

René.

On 28 Apr 2017, at 12:44, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Rene & all,

I did decide to work on 1 issue below, for this minute (only for NetRexx 3.06, as I am confident that 3.05 does work):

(a) re-compile all my own stuff with 'nrcboth.bat', a small Windows 10 batch File compiling my stuff with both -javac and -ecj, measuring the time

of both executions and comparing the result files using Walter Pachl's ancient COMPAXX module, to detect any deviations

between the 2 available compiler choices.

This work shall be devoted to give some insights into both the NetRexx & Java Compiler speeds for both environments as well as

the resultant 'class' file sizes for both compiler variants.

Some 1-2 Years agao, Kermit Kiser did indicate by a private mail, that *compiled classes* under -javac are *smaller* than on -ecj,

but -ecj is quicker. What a pity that Kermit did leave this our current Universe. Thank You, Kermit, for all You did ! :-)

(b) As my actual Java knowledge is really nothing (always did only use NetRexx as My Target prefered Language),

I cannot really contribute on the other issues mentioned below.

Long time ago, however, I did propose an *additional Syntax* for Netrexx, to define ASSERTIONS in NetRexx:

NetRexx-statement  [ :: relational-op expected-value ]

.... but that has been deleted by Kermit on Kenai ...

Whil'st I did use PIPES in my IBM CMS-Times, back from 1990 to 2003, I really *forgot it*, sorry to say.

Kind regards,

Thomas Schneider.