NetRexx 3.07 and 4.00

ThSITC
Hi Rene,

I did now restart work (a bit only, as I am too old by now):

1.) You did promise at the last RexxLA Symposium, day 4 or so, that You
shall write a summary of the discussions between Rony and You about the
open issues. Did you find the time to do so ?

2.) Which tests would you need for NetRexx 3.07?

3.) Is there any pre-release document (specification) available for the
planned NetRexx 4.0 ?

4.) Would you (or anybody else) recommend and/or forbid me to implement
some new VERBS in NetRexx 4.00 as follows:

REPORT report-name

TITLE title-lines

FOOTING footing-lines

PRINT printed columns (separated by a comma)

END report-name

SCREEN screen name

TITLE title-lines

FOOTING footing lines

MESSAGE message line

DISPLAY item-to-be-diplayed

ACCEPT new-items-to-be- accepted and then displayed

END screen-name

I did specify all of thoe years ago, and did implement them in my own
Parser, and my private run-time,

but did never take the time to attempt to change to original NetRexx
Translator (which has been my fault)

Hence, what shall you there at the community say?

Kindly, Thomas Schneider, from Vienna, Austria (nearly NO KANGOROOH's,
except me)

---
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=B_iNOJBJAHpbWZpBA_LCpmlsgqa5l4cTxhD_vq1vVZw&s=iN37dAZlPcpbt8MkeXe-MSP_vXCZ-gEhxaW8GtVpCFo&e=

Re: NetRexx 3.07 and 4.00

ThSITC
Forgot to say:

Unlike SAY, PRINT, DISPLAY, etc shall accept a NEW notation for the
items in the proper lists, e.g.:

PRINT MIN salary, MAX Revenue BY department
-or-
DISPLAY MAX Revenue BY Department.

Both the printouts and the screens are held in core for final processing.
Thus, the proper actions are only ececuted when needed (complete, as I
call them)

That's an behaviour I did learn in my GEISCO (General Electric
Information Services Company, closed 2002 or 3, running the MARK III
Service, Decenniums (10*Years)  ago  ))))))))))))

Thomas.

Am 24.10.2018 um 17:37 schrieb Thomas Schneider:

> Hi Rene,
>
> I did now restart work (a bit only, as I am too old by now):
>
> 1.) You did promise at the last RexxLA Symposium, day 4 or so, that
> You shall write a summary of the discussions between Rony and You
> about the open issues. Did you find the time to do so ?
>
> 2.) Which tests would you need for NetRexx 3.07?
>
> 3.) Is there any pre-release document (specification) available for
> the planned NetRexx 4.0 ?
>
> 4.) Would you (or anybody else) recommend and/or forbid me to
> implement some new VERBS in NetRexx 4.00 as follows:
>
> REPORT report-name
>
> TITLE title-lines
>
> FOOTING footing-lines
>
> PRINT printed columns (separated by a comma)
>
> END report-name

> SCREEN screen name
>
> TITLE title-lines
>
> FOOTING footing lines
>
> MESSAGE message line
>
> DISPLAY item-to-be-diplayed
>
> ACCEPT new-items-to-be- accepted and then displayed
>
> END screen-name
>
> I did specify all of thoe years ago, and did implement them in my own
> Parser, and my private run-time,
>
> but did never take the time to attempt to change to original NetRexx
> Translator (which has been my fault)
>
> Hence, what shall you there at the community say?
>
> Kindly, Thomas Schneider, from Vienna, Austria (nearly NO KANGOROOH's,
> except me)
>

> ---
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=B_iNOJBJAHpbWZpBA_LCpmlsgqa5l4cTxhD_vq1vVZw&s=iN37dAZlPcpbt8MkeXe-MSP_vXCZ-gEhxaW8GtVpCFo&e=

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=T6jtHKUpC4hpKwrcScJFwfZu_qVDVka1uwD-Zq4a7tE&s=Dt__LzbWniMg8CcsGHAiQQOVvoM2c9dt3Vg4UfftCAQ&e=

---
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=T6jtHKUpC4hpKwrcScJFwfZu_qVDVka1uwD-Zq4a7tE&s=ufb805AIhLpiUFj0SDZvOUqKakXaaaPXP9Rb-2royO0&e=

Re: NetRexx 3.07 and 4.00

ThSITC

Hi Rene,

thanks for your answer, today.

I do have two possibilities:

1.) To provide my report writere and screen I/O possibilities as a NetRexx PRE-PROCESSOR (as nrjpipes).

    *OR*

2.) implement those directly in the upcoming NetRexx 4.00 :-) :-) :-)

as the proper run-time libraries are already there, the later choice would mean to enlarge NetRexx a bit,

as some kin of ancient Fourth Generation Languages (4GL Languages, as we did call that at GEISCO Times)

I do still have the specification document I did upload to former www.KENAI.com, and could dirstribute that to the NetRexx REVIEW board when necessary.

As far as I'm involved, as a NetRexx User, I think, that including a proper SCREEN I/O and REPORT Facility in plain NetRexx 4.00 might be a great step ahead (maybe!)

Let us2 see what the other members of this group do think, please :-)

Kindly,

Thomas Schneider

ThSITC - Thomas Schneider, IT-Consulting, Vienna, Austria

www.thsitc.com, www.db-123.com

Am 31.10.2018 um 19:40 schrieb René Jansen:
Hi Thomas,

was a bit busy; but as I understand your email, you want to contribute a report writer written in NetRexx. The idea is interesting, though a bit dated in my opinion, and its inclusion in the language itself would not be a good idea, as one of the goals of Rexx is (and always was) to keep the language small.

If you want to contribute it as a library, please go ahead, if it works well we could include it in the examples.

best regards,

René.

On 29 Oct 2018, at 21:01, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rene,

would be nice when You could reply to the questions below I did raise.

Hope you are well,

Thomas.

Betreff: Re: [Ibm-netrexx] NetRexx 3.07 and 4.00
Datum: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 18:03:22 +0200
Von: Thomas Schneider [hidden email]
Antwort an: IBM Netrexx [hidden email]
An: Rene Vincent Jansen [hidden email], IBM Netrexx [hidden email]

Forgot to say:

Unlike SAY, PRINT, DISPLAY, etc shall accept a NEW notation for the
items in the proper lists, e.g.:

PRINT MIN salary, MAX Revenue BY department
-or-
DISPLAY MAX Revenue BY Department.

Both the printouts and the screens are held in core for final processing.
Thus, the proper actions are only ececuted when needed (complete, as I
call them)

That's an behaviour I did learn in my GEISCO (General Electric
Information Services Company, closed 2002 or 3, running the MARK III
Service, Decenniums (10*Years)  ago  ))))))))))))

Thomas.

Am 24.10.2018 um 17:37 schrieb Thomas Schneider:
> Hi Rene,
>
> I did now restart work (a bit only, as I am too old by now):
>
> 1.) You did promise at the last RexxLA Symposium, day 4 or so, that
> You shall write a summary of the discussions between Rony and You
> about the open issues. Did you find the time to do so ?
>
> 2.) Which tests would you need for NetRexx 3.07?
>
> 3.) Is there any pre-release document (specification) available for
> the planned NetRexx 4.0 ?
>
> 4.) Would you (or anybody else) recommend and/or forbid me to
> implement some new VERBS in NetRexx 4.00 as follows:
>
> REPORT report-name
>
> TITLE title-lines
>
> FOOTING footing-lines
>
> PRINT printed columns (separated by a comma)
>
> END report-name

> SCREEN screen name
>
> TITLE title-lines
>
> FOOTING footing lines
>
> MESSAGE message line
>
> DISPLAY item-to-be-diplayed
>
> ACCEPT new-items-to-be- accepted and then displayed
>
> END screen-name
>
> I did specify all of thoe years ago, and did implement them in my own
> Parser, and my private run-time,
>
> but did never take the time to attempt to change to original NetRexx
> Translator (which has been my fault)
>
> Hence, what shall you there at the community say?
>
> Kindly, Thomas Schneider, from Vienna, Austria (nearly NO KANGOROOH's,
> except me)
>

> ---
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=B_iNOJBJAHpbWZpBA_LCpmlsgqa5l4cTxhD_vq1vVZw&s=iN37dAZlPcpbt8MkeXe-MSP_vXCZ-gEhxaW8GtVpCFo&e=

Re: NetRexx 3.07 and 4.00

What would You SAY, Rene, when I would tell You:

That ReyC (The Rey Compiler) shall be ONLY a NetRexx Pre-compiler, generating pure NetRexx Code on DEMAND for Screen I/O and REPORTING Functionalities ?

Kindly Thomas Schneider, Vienna, Austria

Datum: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 18:03:22 +0200
Von: Thomas Schneider [hidden email]
Antwort an: IBM Netrexx [hidden email]
An: Rene Vincent Jansen [hidden email], IBM Netrexx [hidden email]