NetRexx and Android Studio

George Hovey-2

Android seems determined to move from the Eclipse IDE to Android Studio (IntelliJ IDEA).  It looks like this has features well worth exploring but it also means declining support for Eclipse and Ant.

In the past our NetRexx developers have taken the tack of providing plugins which are tightly integrated with some IDE (Kermit Kiser with jEdit, Bill Fenlason with Eclipse).  These are not simple to produce and it is painful and disruptive to see them invalidated by necessary progress in Android's systerm.

I wonder if it possible to find an approach to incorporating NetRexx in Android that is not integrated with Android's IDE du jour at all.  In the best of worlds an Android distribution would be developed in recognition of its first class status among operating systems.  In the meantime could some stand-alone means be found for producing classes or, barring that, .java files that can be directly incorporated into Android projects?

Android Studio appears to have the concept of running outside tools and automatically reloading files they modify.  This offers the possibility of producing a "distributed" Android/NetRexx IDE without the pain of plugins.  I develop in an analogous way, editing in jEdit and compiling and testing with individual command line windows that feed their diagnostics back to jEdit.  Perhaps it sounds clumsy, but the clear division of labor is simplifying.

JEP

Re: NetRexx and Android Studio

JEP
I heard about NetRexx several years ago, but never tried it because NetRexx was described as rexx with modified syntax that run interpreted on JAVA.

I know rexx and have done a lot with it, and still do every day both at work and at home, so a quick google search gave NetRexx and Android development.

The main reason why I've looked it up now is because I've just bought an Android phone and would like to tinker with code to write my own apps.

The transition from jEdit/Eclipse to IntelliJ is an obstacle, but NetRexx development for Android would really get my attention. I'd see a future in NetRexx if it would provide basic support and examples for current android development at first that evolve over time.

//Jan-Erik