NetRexx and then...

mcbrides
I was curious about a thought I just had. Would someone know if it would be
possible to write netrexx in such a way that it doesnot use any of the netrexx
classes?

--

/-------------------------------------\
| Jerry McBride  ([hidden email]) |

RE: NetRexx and then...

Patrick McPhee-3
Jerry McBride wrote:

> Would someone know if it would be possible to write netrexx in such a
> way that it doesnot use any of  the netrexx classes?

It is. You have to use `options binary', and be careful to give all your
methods a type. Of course, you also can't use any methods of class Rexx.
Here's an entertaining example (somebody else's joke) I wrote in April:

Is there a tool in the java toolkit which lists all the classes or
packages used by a program?
--
Patrick TJ McPhee
DataMirror Corporation

meaning.zip (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NetRexx and then...

Jose Maria Blasco
On Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:00:30 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

>I was curious about a thought I just had. Would someone know if it would be
>possible to write netrexx in such a way that it doesnot use any of the netrexx
>classes?

I did just that for a project I'm working in (a spelling checher for
a very big dictionary [800,000+ words and 100,000 proper names]).

First I started by writing a prototype in normal NetRexx (i.e., heavy
use of implicit Rexx variables, indexed variables, etc), so as
to test the correctness and viability of the algorithms.

Then I began to rewrite different parts of the program using other
non-Rexx data structures (in my case, primarily byte[]). When I thought
that I was making no more use of Rexx classes, I added 'Options Binary',
corrected some subsequent bugs that surfaced, and compiled with -keep.

The resulting .java.keep file still showed some use of Rexx classes, which
came to me more or less as a surprise, since I thought I was using none.
It appears that I had not completely understood the code generation
patterns for the translator and the implications of using 'Options
Binary'.

I corrected all the offending constructs, and, voila, I had a program
which was 100% Rexx-class free.

Anyway, maybe a compile option which would print warnings for all statements
which produce code that is using Rexx classes would be useful.

Regards,

Jose Maria Blasco
Escola d'Idiomes Moderns
Universitat de Barcelona

Tinkering with my jvm... <G>

mcbrides
Ahh. Monday morning.

I was tinkering with some of the JVM settings this weekend and I was curious
how my findings compare with others...

My work machine is warp 3.0, FP31, JDK111ga and netrexx 1120.

I've noticed a minor nit that's been pestering me. I run my own script that
calls up java after setting the java environment variables. I do this because
in addition to 1.1.1 I also have 1.0.2 and found it neccessary/desireable to
keep things separate during developing. The .dll directory is correctly named
in the config.sys for both 111 and 102. Anyway the rexx run script for the 111
jvm is:

say'Java 1.1.1 Running'
say''
'set netrexx_home=d:\java11'
'set classpath=.;..\;d:\java11\lib\classes.zip;d:\java11\lib\NetRexxC.zip;d:\java11\lib\MyClasses.zip;d:\dev111\work\MoreClasses.zip'
'SET JAVA_AUDIO_RATE=8'
'SET JAVA_AUDIO_VOLUME=100'
'SET JAVA_COMPILER=JAVAX'
'SET JAVA_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10'
'SET JAVA_CONSOLE='
'SET JAVA_HOME=d:\JAVA11'
'SET JAVA_MAP_ACCEL=&'
'SET JAVA_NLS_SBCS=1'
'SET JAVA_USER=d:\JAVA11'
'SET JAVA_WEBLOGS=d:\JAVA11\WEBLOG'

parse arg args
'd:\java11\bin\java.exe -ms4M 'args

My "test" netrexx program is:

 Say"Enter a bit of keyboard chatter..." -- prompt user
 text = ask                              -- get the input in var text
 say "You entered" text                  -- echo to console
 exit 0                                  -- no possible error here!

The nit that's upsetting my coffee<G> is: If run "as-is" I'm able to successfully
get keyboard input via the netrexx ASK function and have it print out fine.
However, when executed I'm first popped up to the desktop and must click back
to the test session via the task list, which is "normal" operation. Now, if I
stick a -norestart as a switch on the command line I stay with the session as
expected, the "Enter a bit..." is printed to the screen ok, but keyboard input
is ignored. In fact, a ctl-C is needed to get out of a dead prompt.

Also, setting java_console to something other than null causes a whole different
"feel" <G> to the way things operate.

Anyone else?

--

| Jerry McBride  ([hidden email]) |