NetRexx jars - java license... ?

Michael (maillists) Dag

I recently learned Oracle want to license java… what are the implications for (commercial/business) NetRexx applications?

Are NetRexx jars  created using Oracle JDK ? what if you re-use those jars with other Java runtimes?

Michael

Re: NetRexx jars - java license... ?

rvjansen
Not sure which builds did end up in the distributions - but going forward it will all be OpenJDK. There are no Oracle components in the runtime.

René.

On 27 Jan 2019, at 14:49, maillists (@MQSystems) <[hidden email]> wrote:

I recently learned Oracle want to license java… what are the implications for (commercial/business) NetRexx applications?

Are NetRexx jars  created using Oracle JDK ? what if you re-use those jars with other Java runtimes?

Michael

Re: NetRexx jars - java license... ?

Rony G. Flatscher

There are even quite a few companies now that host OpenJDK installation packages, like Red Hat or (now even) Amazon.

One source for OpenJDK installation packages that I advise is "adop OpenJDK" at: <https://adoptopenjdk.net/>. They have offers from Java 8 (LTS=long term support) to the latest version for all kind of operating systems with a choice of VM (Hotspot or OpenJ9).

---rony

On 27.01.2019 23:40, René Jansen wrote:
Not sure which builds did end up in the distributions - but going forward it will all be OpenJDK. There are no Oracle components in the runtime.

René.

On 27 Jan 2019, at 14:49, maillists (@MQSystems) <[hidden email]> wrote:

I recently learned Oracle want to license java… what are the implications for (commercial/business) NetRexx applications?

Are NetRexx jars  created using Oracle JDK ? what if you re-use those jars with other Java runtimes?

Michael

Re: NetRexx jars - java license... ?

jlturriff
        Almost sounds like Oracle is trying to get themselves out of the Java
business. :-)

Leslie