OpenJDK Project Panama

George Hovey-2
Something pretty exciting is coming down the Java pike.  OpenJDK's Project Panama aims to replace the ancient Java Native Interface (JNI) with something smooth and modern.  It should allow rather direct communication with, for example, libraries in other languages and devices like GPUs, FPGAs, Advanced Vector Extensions, and the like.

If it works as claimed, it should make Java (and NexRexx?) the GoTo place for cutting-edge programming.

These are early days and we don't want to raise false hopes.  Perhaps some of our language mavens could look Panama over, with special emphasis on show stoppers.

References
1. [OpenJdk Project Panama] Mar 2019 Status Update

2. Early-Access Builds mention JDK 12 and JDK 13.

Re: OpenJDK Project Panama

ThSITC

Hello George, Rene,

This Panama project sounds really promising!

I did have a look at the Powerpoint Presentation George did provide, and do agree with Rene !

Kindly,

Thomas Schneider, Vienna, Austria.