Protecting NetRexx Shareware

serkom
Dear NetRexxers,

The following is not directly NetRexx related. But I think of general interest for JVM
Shareware (or commercial) program development.

Most normal (non-Java) programs have an evaluation period, starting when you first install
the program. If you are "clever" and reinstal, it will notice that you are installing for the
second time and will not restart the evaluation period again. You have to search very long
to find the hidden registration information or have to reinstall your system.

The question is, how this could be achieved in NetRexx (100% pure Java) in a gentle
user-friendly way.

If I am not mistaken, the current JVM can not modify dates of existing files or use hidden
files or extended file attributes (like in OS/2). You had to store persistent information in a
normal file, which is easily found and deleted to enforce a second evaluation period.

I am not looking for a bullet-proof method for timebombed NetRexx Software. But looking
in the Java-homedir or just reinstall, is a bit too easy!

Any ideas anyone?

Kai