Using the translator as an Interpreter

gustavo_mindreau
Good evening,

Chapter 9 of the QuickStart Guide specifies how to use the translator as an Interpreter  (page 43)
        (by the way, pages 50 and 53 do not exist either  (just to step on the lovers toes...)   :-)    )

        JAVA org.netrexx.process.NetRexxC test -java -exec
        ===== Exec: test =====
        Hello world!
        Processing of 'test.nrx' complete

this is working correctly.

However the problem is that the manual states:
        ... after interpretation is complete, the programs are compiled in the usual way, unless -nojava or -nocompile was specified.
but no compilation is being performed.  No .class file output.

Any (constructive) comments/suggestions on this ?
Thanks beforehand for the support.

Regards,
Gus

Re: Using the translator as an Interpreter

rvjansen
Hi Gustavo,

compliments for your sharp observation. Xetex is the software that formats the book source to PDF; it drops (or rather, probably one of the Lastex packages it uses in turn) the ball here. Fixing this might cost some time; the important thing here is that I have verified no text is missing from the book, just page numbers.

The second issue is a documentation error, as in a recent release (2015) the default for this situation was changed. After interpretation the .class file is not automatically saved. I will change the docs.

best regards,

René.

On 27 Dec 2017, at 17:32, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Hello,
About the missing pages, indeed, it is just a 'cosmetic' problem.  All book content is present.
To end this thread, I just verified that the Language Reference book has the same problem too.
Missing pages like 10,12,30,32,34,42,46,62,70,72,82,84,92,98, ...
And most of the time (not always) is the problem located at the chapter change.
But I repeat, this is just a 'cosmetic' problem.

Regarding the second issue, .class file not being created while interpreting, thank you for verifying this and your answer.

Regards, Gus

René Jansen <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

2017-12-29 03:07

Please respond to
IBM Netrexx <[hidden email]>

IBM Netrexx <[hidden email]>,
cc
Subject
Re: [Ibm-netrexx] Using the translator as an Interpreter

On 27 Dec 2017, at 17:32, gustavo_mindreau@... wrote:

Good evening,

Chapter 9 of the QuickStart Guide specifies how to use the translator as an Interpreter  (page 43)
       (by the way, pages 50 and 53 do not exist either  (just to step on the lovers toes...)   :-)    )

       JAVA org.netrexx.process.NetRexxC test -java -exec

       ===== Exec: test =====

       Hello world!

       Processing of 'test.nrx' complete

this is working correctly.

However the problem is that the manual states:

       ... after interpretation is complete, the programs are compiled in the usual way, unless -nojava or -nocompile was specified.

but no compilation is being performed.  No .class file output.

Any (constructive) comments/suggestions on this ?

Thanks beforehand for the support.

Regards,

Gus

Re: Using the translator as an Interpreter

Mike Cowlishaw
About the missing pages, indeed, it is just a 'cosmetic' problem.  All book content is present.
To end this thread, I just verified that the Language Reference book has the same problem too.
Missing pages like 10,12,30,32,34,42,46,62,70,72,82,84,92,98, ...
And most of the time (not always) is the problem located at the chapter change.
But I repeat, this is just a 'cosmetic' problem.

Sounds as though it might be the software is (deliberately) omitting blank pages to make it quicker/easier to scroll through the PDF.

Mike

Re: Using the translator as an Interpreter

rvjansen
Hi Mike,

that might well be the case. Sheds a positive light on all those “page intentionally left blank” pages we consumed.

best regards,

René.

On 29 Dec 2017, at 07:26, Mike Cowlishaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

About the missing pages, indeed, it is just a 'cosmetic' problem.  All book content is present.
To end this thread, I just verified that the Language Reference book has the same problem too.
Missing pages like 10,12,30,32,34,42,46,62,70,72,82,84,92,98, ...
And most of the time (not always) is the problem located at the chapter change.
But I repeat, this is just a 'cosmetic' problem.

Sounds as though it might be the software is (deliberately) omitting blank pages to make it quicker/easier to scroll through the PDF.

Mike

Re: Using the translator as an Interpreter

rvjansen
I agree.

I have found the option and have disabled it. Because I like to read 2-up on a high resolution terminal (and find the missing page numbers disconcerting now that our attention to the problem has been drawn) I have added the blank pages back in for the next release (might refresh the docs in the current distribution).

If requested, we can have a special telephone/tablet edition without blank pages and consecutive numbering. I would opt for epub there, though.

best regards,

René.

On 29 Dec 2017, at 10:14, Rick McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It seems that 'problem is solved' :-).