VM redbook to be removed from netrexx.org

VM redbook to be removed from netrexx.org

rvjansen
Dear NetRexx users,

the IBM RedBook VM/ESA Network Computing with Java and NetRexx will be removed from the NetRexx site next week, as it is of only historical interest. If you want to download a copy, please do so within a week.

I was lucky enough to get an assignment on z/VM recently, but when I wanted to implement a Git version management system and deploy my NetRexx tools, I found out that IBM had decommissioned Java and NetRexx a couple of years ago. So the knowledge in this redbook has become irrelevant.

The removal of Java and NetRexx from VM is something I had missed, and I am disappointed by this action. The VM operating system, that in CMS still has some commands that are straight out of CTSS (assemble - load - start - genmod) did not preserve this functionality, not even in older releases (which would have been good enough for my purposes).

As the intention is to keep NetRexx a living language and not a museum, I will remove references to VM from the site and documentation.

best regards,

René.

Re: VM redbook to be removed from netrexx.org

jlturriff
        IBM has become so weird in recent times... :-(

Leslie

On 2018-10-01 04:41:46 René Jansen wrote:

> Dear NetRexx users,
>
> the IBM RedBook VM/ESA Network Computing with Java and NetRexx
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.netrexx.org_files_
>docs_sg245148.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02N
>iR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=qDX-1oBeXGDXhl3J67IW3qa-ytJekq_-0ZZy4Ahfnfg&s=7prcU0
>q9WM-BvXAKhqC0ffS81g2tNd3P6_kMQ3nOFdY&e=> will be removed from the NetRexx
> site next week, as it is of only historical interest. If you want to
> download a copy, please do so within a week.
>
> I was lucky enough to get an assignment on z/VM recently, but when I wanted
> to implement a Git version management system and deploy my NetRexx tools, I
> found out that IBM had decommissioned Java and NetRexx a couple of years
> ago. So the knowledge in this redbook has become irrelevant.
>
> The removal of Java and NetRexx from VM is something I had missed, and I am
> disappointed by this action. The VM operating system, that in CMS still has
> some commands that are straight out of CTSS (assemble - load - start -
> genmod) did not preserve this functionality, not even in older releases
> (which would have been good enough for my purposes).
>
> As the intention is to keep NetRexx a living language and not a museum, I
> will remove references to VM from the site and documentation.
>
> best regards,
>
> René.

Re: VM redbook to be removed from netrexx.org

ThSITC
Leslie:

It has been really WEIRD that IBM did not *recognize* which POWER
NetRexx (ak. www.netrexx.org) did and does have ...

See You *the coming Year* (2019) at the RexxLA Symposium (*whereever it
shall BE*) :-)

Kindly, Thomas Schneider, Vienna, Austria.

Am 01.10.2018 um 20:33 schrieb J Leslie Turriff:

> IBM has become so weird in recent times... :-(
>
> Leslie
>
> On 2018-10-01 04:41:46 René Jansen wrote:
>> Dear NetRexx users,
>>
>> the IBM RedBook VM/ESA Network Computing with Java and NetRexx
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.netrexx.org_files_
>> docs_sg245148.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02N
>> iR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=qDX-1oBeXGDXhl3J67IW3qa-ytJekq_-0ZZy4Ahfnfg&s=7prcU0
>> q9WM-BvXAKhqC0ffS81g2tNd3P6_kMQ3nOFdY&e=> will be removed from the NetRexx
>> site next week, as it is of only historical interest. If you want to
>> download a copy, please do so within a week.
>>
>> I was lucky enough to get an assignment on z/VM recently, but when I wanted
>> to implement a Git version management system and deploy my NetRexx tools, I
>> found out that IBM had decommissioned Java and NetRexx a couple of years
>> ago. So the knowledge in this redbook has become irrelevant.
>>
>> The removal of Java and NetRexx from VM is something I had missed, and I am
>> disappointed by this action. The VM operating system, that in CMS still has
>> some commands that are straight out of CTSS (assemble - load - start -
>> genmod) did not preserve this functionality, not even in older releases
>> (which would have been good enough for my purposes).
>>
>> As the intention is to keep NetRexx a living language and not a museum, I
>> will remove references to VM from the site and documentation.
>>
>> best regards,
>>
>> René.
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=5FzX0c9oKlGSla24LZYkweZQ22GLVe3vCjMj-eI-owE&s=e-2zjKA-lPrWoNwbgrKZshkg8dIXtfUtyyGL9_iAjio&e=

---
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=5FzX0c9oKlGSla24LZYkweZQ22GLVe3vCjMj-eI-owE&s=kotC-LSGR9z5BwWMyfvxZGnwEbcgqa3gImc-f8nsyfg&e=