YAHOO Email Addresses

Ian T Stirling
Administrator
A recent post by someone from a yahoo.com email address has caused quite a bit of messages undelivered messages to be returned to me.

The problem appears to be well known and related to some DMARC settings Yahoo have enabled on their DNS servers.    The problem is that mailman forwards the incoming email out to all all the subscribers as if it came from the original poster - the yahoo.com email address.    Many other email domains see the mail actually originated from ibm.com and not yahoo.com so will not deliver it to the intended recipients.

Mailman have a fixed version but it is not shiiped as part of CentOS 6 (the current OS on the server) or CentOS 7 so there is very little I can do to sort it out at the moment.

So basically, posts from a yahoo.com email address will be accepted by the list but will not get delivered to everyone who is subscribed.

As this is the first time I can remember seeing this I suspect the posters from yahoo.com are few and far between so if you have an alternative email address it might be worth registering that one and using it instead.

Ian

Re: YAHOO Email Addresses

Aviatrexx
This has been a problem for quite a while, and is only the latest in a
litany of Yahoo! malfeasance.  They seem to be incapable of "playing
nicely" with the rest of the Internet.

I host more than a few Mailman listservers and my solution was the
same as yours, Ian: tell every subscriber using a Yahoo!Mail account
to get another "free" account.  The few who have not are primarily
lurkers and rarely post.

Yahoo! richly deserves the pariah status it is acquiring among sysadmins.

-Chip-