.jar files, etc.

Mike Cowlishaw-3
Always a tricky problem -- I once suggested shipping just the .zip
file, and almost got lynched by an AIX guru from down the corridor :-)

The fairly compelling argument she had was that people often want to
take a look at a package without running it, so they don't want any
prerequisite stopping them 'opening' it.  In the case of .jar files,
one would have to have Java installed and running before one could
open the NetRexx package.

Version numbers .. the snag with this is that the numbers tend to
appear in URLs.  So if you put the NetRexx download URL on your
bookmark list, you'd keep getting the same (old) package, possibly.  I
prefer (and it's just a personal taste) to keep the current version of
a package with a readable name, and rename older ones to have the less
readable numbers.  NetRexx 1.02, for example, is in nrexx102.zip.

On my own disks, I simply suffix the version number:  Foo.nrx.171, for
example.

--
Mike Cowlishaw, IBM Fellow, IBM UK Laboratories
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com

Re: .jar files, etc.

dIon Gillard-3
On Tue, 7 Oct 97 09:33:11 BST, Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

>Always a tricky problem -- I once suggested shipping just the .zip
>file, and almost got lynched by an AIX guru from down the corridor :-)
>
>The fairly compelling argument she had was that people often want to
>take a look at a package without running it, so they don't want any
>prerequisite stopping them 'opening' it.  In the case of .jar files,
>one would have to have Java installed and running before one could
>open the NetRexx package.
Nope....just a zip file manager....but for the unix people, I see the
dilemma...

>Version numbers .. the snag with this is that the numbers tend to
>appear in URLs.  So if you put the NetRexx download URL on your
>bookmark list, you'd keep getting the same (old) package, possibly.  I
>prefer (and it's just a personal taste) to keep the current version of
>a package with a readable name, and rename older ones to have the less
>readable numbers.  NetRexx 1.02, for example, is in nrexx102.zip.
>
>On my own disks, I simply suffix the version number:  Foo.nrx.171, for
>example.
Hmmm...I might start doing it for myself then, as I understand the URL problem
and agree it's a good idea to keep the URL constant...
dIon, Multitask Consulting
Work: http://www.multitask.com.au
NetRexx: http://www.multitask.com.au/netrexx
RxExtras: http://www.multitask.com.au/rxextras