www.netrexx.org/examples

ThSITC
Hi Rene,

I did now have short look at this new example page, which does now work,
by the way.
Congratulations :-)

I do *think*, however, that the *text* which is on the internet
home-page shall be included
as a *comment* at the start of the programs.

In my thinking, a program unit should be self-documenting, when possible.

Thomas Schneider.

PS: Is there somewhere a documentation of .nsp (NetRexx Server Pages) on
the road ?
PPS: Also, my belief is that the start of the examples might be *too
mathematical* and *theoretical*
as they are now ...

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

rvjansen
Hi Thomas,

The first set of examples is from rosettacode.org; they are documented there, and for the website, I have made a file that links the webpage comments to their source. As they are examples from elsewhere, I am not going to alter them. In due time, I am going to make a more friendly introduction to NetRexx for the website - but I am not at all opposed to someone else taking on that task.

The existing documentation on NetRexx Server pages is at www.rexxla.org/events/2013/presentations/NetRexxServerPages.pdf

best regards,

René.

On 10 jun. 2015, at 14:44, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rene,

I did now have short look at this new example page, which does now work, by the way.
Congratulations :-)

I do *think*, however, that the *text* which is on the internet home-page shall be included
as a *comment* at the start of the programs.

In my thinking, a program unit should be self-documenting, when possible.

Thomas Schneider.

PS: Is there somewhere a documentation of .nsp (NetRexx Server Pages) on the road ?
PPS: Also, my belief is that the start of the examples might be *too mathematical* and *theoretical*
as they are now ...

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

ThSITC
Hi Rene,

   I think for the *introduction* to NetRexx a more user friendly approach might be appropriate.
When You and Kermit like, I could take the *utils* package from org.netrexx.contributions.thsitc.utils
as examples ;-)

  Originating originally from plain 'classic Rexx', I think they do show a bit more the power of Rexx like programming.

   I could contribute when You like with samples ....
Thomas.
Am 10/06/2015 um 14:56 schrieb René Jansen:
[...]

Thanks for the NetRexxServerPages doc. Have to read it thru, and look at at Your .nsp samples to understand.

I think the Rosetta Code is much too mathematical to fascinate young programmers of the power of NetRexx.

Too many options ate the beginning, etc.

I could contribute with more *pragmatic* samples, from org.netrexx.contributions.thsitc.utils, when You and Kermit and the community likes ;-)

What I did do is simply to methodically introduce *new methods* to be used as a standard for Messaging,
File I/O etc.

We should discuss that, however, here in the community, as this would introduce some programming standards
maybe not wanted by all :-(
[...]

The Rosettacode examples are first on the page because I had good descriptions for them. I agree with you and will shuffle the other directories upwards.

Could you write up comments for the source files?

These examples come out of the trunk/examples subdirectories. Each directory has (or needs) a file called legenda.txt - the layout is as follows:

ClassExample.nrx|In object-oriented programming class is a set (a transitive closure) of types bound by the relation of inheritance. The purpose of this task is to create a basic class with a method, a constructor, an instance variable and how to instantiate it.
DNSQuerying.nrx|DNS is an internet service that maps domain names, like rosettacode.org, to IP addresses, like 66.220.0.231. Use DNS to resolve www.kame.net to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Print these addresses.
DateFormat.nrx|Display the current date in the formats of "2007-11-10" and "Sunday, November 10, 2007”.

A line has the filename, separated with a single pipe, from its explanation, which goes to end-of-line

If you can deliver me these, I can put these in; the website code will join them.

best regards,

René.

On 10 jun. 2015, at 15:44, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thomas,

do note that these NetRexx Server Pages also work with Tomcat, and the latest websites I created this way all use Apache Tomcat 8, which seemed a bit more stable than Jetty at some point (and importantly, standard at customer sites). This includes the NetRexx.com website, which recently changed.

The changes needed for Tomcat 8 are in apache-tomcat-8.0.145/conf/web.xml, line 369:

    <!-- The mappings for the JSP servlet -->
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.nsp</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
        <url-pattern>*.jspx</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

and line 4608:

    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.nsp</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

which is right at the bottom of the file. Of course, if you want to run with .jsp files, you can leave it unchanged.

best regards,

René.

On 10 jun. 2015, at 15:44, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the NetRexxServerPages doc. Have to read it thru, and look at at Your .nsp samples to understand.

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

Hugh Sweeney
On 10 June 2015 at 13:56, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

The existing documentation on NetRexx Server pages is at www.rexxla.org/events/2013/presentations/NetRexxServerPages.pdf

I had a look there and saw a reference to 'Hursley time', shown by the NetRexx version of qtime. So I had a look at www.netrexx.org and saw the time rendered in colloquial English. But it's UTC, rather than BST, which is the current timezone in Britain. Wouldn't it be a simpler real-world example if it showed the time that people in Hursley use?

Hugh

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

rvjansen
Yes, you are right, and it is on my list to have a timezone-aware version. You don’t want to see my list, though.

The issue here is that when I started the site, the machine serving it was on my desk in Amsterdam. And UK summer time switched at the same time as CEST, where Amsterdam is in. Because of network and performance issues, I moved the netrexx.org server to Amazon, and now it is running somewhere in West-Virginia. Sometimes I correct the time but mostly I am reminded of it.

As an experiment, I am trying to set the server timezone to BST and will see if it will switch at the right time.

Let’s see what happens.

best regards,

René.

On 10 jun. 2015, at 16:41, Hugh Sweeney <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10 June 2015 at 13:56, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

The existing documentation on NetRexx Server pages is at www.rexxla.org/events/2013/presentations/NetRexxServerPages.pdf

I had a look there and saw a reference to 'Hursley time', shown by the NetRexx version of qtime. So I had a look at www.netrexx.org and saw the time rendered in colloquial English. But it's UTC, rather than BST, which is the current timezone in Britain. Wouldn't it be a simpler real-world example if it showed the time that people in Hursley use?

Hugh

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

rvjansen
Hugh,

well, it’s sorted. NetRexx.org is running BST. Blimey, that was easy!

best regards,

René.

On 10 jun. 2015, at 16:50, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Rene, did You address this task to me?

I would have still to *learn* a lot how You did implement all of that (both .nsp-pages and the repository), but for sure I would like to contribute.

When You send me a ZIP file with all the files You need documented, I can try to do it in the format You indicate, and send You the ZIP file back when ready, together with a contents-file
in the format of the samples in Your message below.

I personally use a technique in my utils package:

cmd>prepend textfile to Netrexx-file

but that is another story, and I shall follow Your conventions of course.

Are You personally using njpipes in the examples below?
It's more than 10 Years ago that I did use PIPES on CMS ... whoops ...

Thomas Schneider.

Am 10/06/2015 um 16:02 schrieb René Jansen:
[...]

christel.u.w.pachl christel.u.w.pachl
There are 168 warnings.
In
the <a> at the end should be </a> in this and many other lines

Maybe a c.<a>    .</a>.* would fix this
--
Walter

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

rvjansen
Hi Thomas,

I would be great if you could do this. So what I need is, per directory of the examples, one file called legenda.txt, which has the format I indicated.
With pipe I mean the | symbol, not the pipes language. The one that gave us headaches in The Netherlands and Austria on the mainframe.

The examples are visible on the webpage, the ones that don’t have an explanation need one. Let me know if there are more questions.

best regards,

René.

On 10 jun. 2015, at 21:28, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Walter,

it is a NetRexx program that puts this page together, so I need to change it in one place only. I will do that one of these days.

best regards,

René.

> On 10 jun. 2015, at 21:39, Walter Pachl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There are 168 warnings.
> In
> the <a> at the end should be </a> in this and many other lines
>
> Maybe a c.<a>    .</a>.* would fix this
> --
> Walter

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

christel.u.w.pachl christel.u.w.pachl
first try, first error!?!

That's my fate :-(

D:\>nrc ArchText
NetRexx portable processor 3.03 NetRexx '3.03', build 61-20140611-2330
Copyright (c) RexxLA, 2011,2014.   All rights reserved.
Parts Copyright (c) IBM Corporation, 1995,2008.
Program ArchText.nrx
  === class ArchText ===
    method init
      overrides Applet.init
    method start
      overrides Applet.start
    method stop
 29 +++   timer.stop                                  /* else stop it */
    +++         ^^^^
    +++ Warning: The method 'Thread.stop' has been deprecated
      overrides Applet.stop
    method run
      implements Runnable.run
    method update(Graphics)
      overrides Container.update(Graphics)
    method paint(Graphics)
      overrides Container.paint(Graphics)
Compilation of 'ArchText.nrx' successful [one warning]

D:\>java ArchText
Fehler: Hauptmethode in Klasse ArchText nicht gefunden. Definieren Sie die Haup
methode als:
   public static void main(String[] args):
oder eine JavaFX-Anwendung muss javafx.application.Application erweitern

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

You might also use the *change* command from

Am 10/06/2015 um 21:39 schrieb Walter Pachl:

> There are 168 warnings.
> In
> the <a> at the end should be </a> in this and many other lines
>
> Maybe a c.<a>    .</a>.* would fix this
> --
> Walter

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

christel.u.w.pachl christel.u.w.pachl
ahhh it's an applet.
How should I use (invoke) it?
--
Walter

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

That's the purpose of a QA (quality Assurance) project leader and master
engineer, Walter :-)

Thomas.

Am 10/06/2015 um 22:00 schrieb Walter Pachl:

> first try, first error!?!
>
> That's my fate :-(
>
> D:\>nrc ArchText
> NetRexx portable processor 3.03 NetRexx '3.03', build 61-20140611-2330
> Copyright (c) RexxLA, 2011,2014.   All rights reserved.
> Parts Copyright (c) IBM Corporation, 1995,2008.
> Program ArchText.nrx
>    === class ArchText ===
>      method init
>        overrides Applet.init
>      method start
>        overrides Applet.start
>      method stop
>   29 +++   timer.stop                                  /* else stop it */
>      +++         ^^^^
>      +++ Warning: The method 'Thread.stop' has been deprecated
>        overrides Applet.stop
>      method run
>        implements Runnable.run
>      method update(Graphics)
>        overrides Container.update(Graphics)
>      method paint(Graphics)
>        overrides Container.paint(Graphics)
> Compilation of 'ArchText.nrx' successful [one warning]
>
> D:\>java ArchText
> Fehler: Hauptmethode in Klasse ArchText nicht gefunden. Definieren Sie die Haup
> methode als:
>     public static void main(String[] args):
> oder eine JavaFX-Anwendung muss javafx.application.Application erweitern

Re: www.netrexx.org/examples.nsp

Rene, That's exactly what I shall do ...

I would, however, need a ZIP file with *all sub-directories* of the samples, as obtaining the samples
one by one by downloading it from www.netrexx.org/examples is not the way I want to go.

Also, it is most imortant that the Rosetta samples are later, as they might be boring for Java fans.

Also, Walter Pachl, when he wants and likes, might be able to review the content (and my english) before delivery.
 Thomas.

PS: Currently, I'm running some -ecj and -java comparisons, but there is not so much difference in compile time :-)
Am 10/06/2015 um 21:42 schrieb René Jansen:
[...]

Oh, I forgot:

change <a> to </a>       (in org.netrexx.contributions.thsitc.utils since years ...)

does exactly help in cases like this ...
Thomas.

You might also use the *change* command from org.netrexx.contributions.thsitc.utils ;-)