[3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

ColinK
Hello.

I have downloaded and installed 3.08-GA under a Windows 10 environment and
am having a couple of issues.

==> Pipes

At the start it looks like everything is working fine.
*
C:\Users\CK>pipe "literal 7 | console"
7

C:\Users\CK>pipe "literal abc | console"
abc

C:\Users\CK>pipc "(testabc) literal abc | console"
( testabc  )  literal abc | console

C:\Users\CK>java testabc
abc*

However, when I try to run a Windows 10 dir command I get an error.

*C:\Users\CK>pipe "command dir | console"
command_1 Error - Cannot create Runtime process rc=11
RC=11*

I am not sure what rc=11 is telling me.  Is there an easy place to look this
up?
Perhaps I am just using the pipe command incorrectly.

==> NRWS

There was no nrws.bat file in the bin directory as alluded to in the doc so
I created one based on the alias I found in .bash_aliases.  However, I am
wondering if I set this up correctly as I get a warning on start up.

*Z:\NetRexx-3.08-GA\bin>nrws
Sep 08, 2019 10:36:49 PM org.jline.utils.Log logr
WARNING: Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal
(enable debug logging for more information)  [33mWorkspace for NetRexx 3.08
[0m build 1,582-20190906-1850 Copyright (c) Martin Lafaix 2000 Copyright (c)
parts RexxLA 2019
nrws>*

This startup differs from the Pipelines Quick Start Guide which shows a
screen capture of the workspace startup that
does not show this warning message. Is there something I missed in setting
up the nrws.bat file, or since this is
only a warning I can ignore it?  It seems to be working (although I still
have the same problem above when trying
to run a Windows dir command.

*nrws>
nrws> pipe literal a man a plan a canal panama | reverse | console
amanap lanac a nalp a nam a
nrws>
nrws> pipe command dir | console
command_1 Error - Cannot create Runtime process rc=11
RC=11
nrws>*

Thanks
Colin

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=yzri9lCuq3Xp1BB0iPUYNPkzOUJ8O37jgRXRSJT122s&s=HSMSLyQnmRaiV2ae9kPOhJZ7AZCTlhnV-WuKdevjn-c&e=

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

rvjansen
Hi Colin,

answers inline

> On 9 Sep 2019, at 12:29, ColinK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> I have downloaded and installed 3.08-GA under a Windows 10 environment and
> am having a couple of issues.
>
> ==> Pipes
>
> At the start it looks like everything is working fine.
> *
> C:\Users\CK>pipe "literal 7 | console"
> 7
>
> C:\Users\CK>pipe "literal abc | console"
> abc
>
> C:\Users\CK>pipc "(testabc) literal abc | console"
> ( testabc  )  literal abc | console
>
> C:\Users\CK>java testabc
> abc*
>
> However, when I try to run a Windows 10 dir command I get an error.
>
> *C:\Users\CK>pipe "command dir | console"
> command_1 Error - Cannot create Runtime process rc=11
> RC=11*

Try the ‘cmd’ stage for windows. I’ll look into this and will report shortly.

> I am not sure what rc=11 is telling me.  Is there an easy place to look this
> up?

I have a feeling that RC=11 does mean ‘cannot create process’ here. I’ll make a note to look these up and put them into the doc.

> Perhaps I am just using the pipe command incorrectly.
>
> ==> NRWS
>
> There was no nrws.bat file in the bin directory as alluded to in the doc so
> I created one based on the alias I found in .bash_aliases.  However, I am
> wondering if I set this up correctly as I get a warning on start up.

Yes, you are right. That was the one git push that got stuck from the windows machine.

> *Z:\NetRexx-3.08-GA\bin>nrws
> Sep 08, 2019 10:36:49 PM org.jline.utils.Log logr
> WARNING: Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal
> (enable debug logging for more information)  [33mWorkspace for NetRexx 3.08
> [0m build 1,582-20190906-1850 Copyright (c) Martin Lafaix 2000 Copyright (c)
> parts RexxLA 2019
> nrws>*

I have seen this once one my windows test machine but could not reproduce afterwards. Will look into this.
The screen cap in the manual is from macOS where all is ok.

> This startup differs from the Pipelines Quick Start Guide which shows a
> screen capture of the workspace startup that
> does not show this warning message. Is there something I missed in setting
> up the nrws.bat file, or since this is
> only a warning I can ignore it?  It seems to be working (although I still
> have the same problem above when trying
> to run a Windows dir command.
>
> *nrws>
> nrws> pipe literal a man a plan a canal panama | reverse | console
> amanap lanac a nalp a nam a
> nrws>
> nrws> pipe command dir | console
> command_1 Error - Cannot create Runtime process rc=11
> RC=11
> nrws>*

This is odd, it should just work. I hope this is not some security setting.

One final remark: Windows 10 has the Linux Subsystem for Windows and can install Ubuntu from the microsoft store. This is the first thing I do at customers’ sites.

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

ColinK
Thank you for the quick response.

I tried the "cmd" stage for my pipes issue but it fails for the same problem
that I believe Jeff experienced.

*
C:\Users\CK>pipe "cmd dir | console"
 53 +++     _s_1 = cmd()
    +++            ^^^
    +++ Error: The method 'cmd()' cannot be found in class 'pccf9cf2' or a
superclass
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0,
Size: 0
        at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
        at org.netrexx.process.NetRexxC.clgMain(NetRexxC.java:217)
        at org.netrexx.njpipes.pipes.compiler.compile(compiler.java:1240)
        at org.netrexx.njpipes.pipes.compiler.<init>(compiler.java:1337)
        at org.netrexx.njpipes.pipes.runner.main(runner.java:76)
*

Thanks for the tip on Linux Subsystem under Windows.  I will have a peek at
that although it would be
great if it could run 'natively'.

Thanks again
Colin

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=wGMbsLGQKxhVIVaN74SsOqgGAqK4HKehHt9ocB0ysUQ&s=-VlqNn9WCAlsjjRIaJw6LklWprZS6g3mw8IspktZnvs&e=

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

rvjansen
I can confirm that the command stage has a problem on Windows, when run in a cmd.exe window but also in a Powershell window. It works in Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows10. I will try to fix this soon.

The nrws problem is benign, it is related to the jLine library. You will miss the colours and the right-side screen prompt. I will see if the maker if this library has a fix, or a suggestion for a terminal type setting.

Except the command stage, other pipe functionality seems to work as designed.

My apologies for this, Colin. I have work this afternoon but will look into it.

best regards,

René.

On 9 Sep 2019, at 12:38, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Colin,

answers inline

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

rvjansen
Yes, this means that the cmd stage does not exist, which is true. I will probably trap this exception to give it a better error message.
I only remember the cmd stage from 20 year ago, I will look through the archives too see where it went and why it did exist. I just removed a reference to it from the manual; this might have been premature.

Maybe Jeff remembers about cmd and Windows?

best regards,

René

> On 9 Sep 2019, at 13:09, ColinK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> I tried the "cmd" stage for my pipes issue but it fails for the same problem
> that I believe Jeff experienced.
>
> *
> C:\Users\CK>pipe "cmd dir | console"
> 53 +++     _s_1 = cmd()
>    +++            ^^^
>    +++ Error: The method 'cmd()' cannot be found in class 'pccf9cf2' or a
> superclass
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0,
> Size: 0
>        at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
>        at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
>        at org.netrexx.process.NetRexxC.clgMain(NetRexxC.java:217)
>        at org.netrexx.njpipes.pipes.compiler.compile(compiler.java:1240)
>        at org.netrexx.njpipes.pipes.compiler.<init>(compiler.java:1337)
>        at org.netrexx.njpipes.pipes.runner.main(runner.java:76)
> *
>
> Thanks for the tip on Linux Subsystem under Windows.  I will have a peek at
> that although it would be
> great if it could run 'natively'.
>
> Thanks again
> Colin
>

> --
> Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=wGMbsLGQKxhVIVaN74SsOqgGAqK4HKehHt9ocB0ysUQ&s=-VlqNn9WCAlsjjRIaJw6LklWprZS6g3mw8IspktZnvs&e=

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=b-DVcX_QNJUQHQOJ2-uvwdCRcuzfUdMPv5xPA0v8-pM&s=AlEAjfh3jtht-6BljZEKVofik7_mPeNdLuCf8Rsobo4&e=

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

ColinK
Hi Rene

There is no urgency on resolving this on my part.  I really appreciate all
the work you do for us on NetRexx.

I need to learn git and download the sources so I can try and help out.

Thanks again
Colin

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=Rh64TnWrMTPSXFXQiLCMzv9pInqAj8kj9YJeieNvoak&s=Mh7wXiTvO8hBJLhzXQIo4j7_0svDBEonoZ4IIUtkEx0&e=

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

rvjansen
Hi Colin,

as soon as I was in the car driving to work, the answer came, as if it came from some old dfhsm volume that needed to be mounted, rewinded and scanned.

In windows, dir is not an .exe, but it is a part of the shell.

So:

pipe “command cmd /c dir | sort | console”

or

pipe "literal cmd /c dir | sort | console”

do work.

best regards,

René.

> On 9 Sep 2019, at 13:41, ColinK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Rene
>
> There is no urgency on resolving this on my part.  I really appreciate all
> the work you do for us on NetRexx.
>
> I need to learn git and download the sources so I can try and help out.
>
> Thanks again
> Colin
>

> --
> Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=Rh64TnWrMTPSXFXQiLCMzv9pInqAj8kj9YJeieNvoak&s=Mh7wXiTvO8hBJLhzXQIo4j7_0svDBEonoZ4IIUtkEx0&e=

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=zQuziwhMM5x71sLLxVGdTUgPMEw5YjxQrUBIoksRkz8&s=_PoF9OqrLWkUOlfLVHKDCh5br2PIDKU9tZkDwrzSlR4&e=

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

rvjansen
And that last variant should be:

pipe "literal cmd /c dir | command | sort | console

René.

ColinK

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

rvjansen
Hi Colin,

On 9 Sep 2019, at 12:29, ColinK <[hidden email]> wrote:

==> NRWS

There was no nrws.bat file in the bin directory as alluded to in the doc so
I created one based on the alias I found in .bash_aliases.  However, I am
wondering if I set this up correctly as I get a warning on start up.

The nrws.bat file has been committed to the git repository.

The problem with Windows and nrws turned out to be a know problem. The source for the Workspace has been fixed, and extra classes have been added to the NetRexx jars.
One extra jar, however, jansi-1.17.jar, needs to be added in front NetRexx[C,F] on the classpath. It does some reading of the class manifest that I could put in our own manifest, but I am afraid no-one will remember that in a couple of years. As the requirement is Windows-only, I added this to the classpath in nrws.bat.

I will probably wait for a couple more fixes and documentation updates before I put out NetRexx 3.09, if that is OK. If you (or other readers) want to build it yourself, I can assist.

best regards,

René.

*Z:\NetRexx-3.08-GA\bin>nrws
Sep 08, 2019 10:36:49 PM org.jline.utils.Log logr
WARNING: Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal
(enable debug logging for more information)  [33mWorkspace for NetRexx 3.08
[0m build 1,582-20190906-1850 Copyright (c) Martin Lafaix 2000 Copyright (c)
parts RexxLA 2019
nrws>*

This startup differs from the Pipelines Quick Start Guide which shows a
screen capture of the workspace startup that
does not show this warning message. Is there something I missed in setting
up the nrws.bat file, or since this is
only a warning I can ignore it?  It seems to be working

Re: [3.08-GA] On Pipes and Workspaces

ColinK
Hi Rene

That is fine with me.  I am going to be out of town until the end of the
month anyhow.

Having the additional jar in the classpath of nrws.bat sounds like a good
way to go.

Cheers
Colin

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=AT29Se3aUDeJW-DMGTOXrjOuOf8LcWXP22iO1O3WH1I&s=gyDJ8dXgMP8lD80inU4mnKiDu6SK4XOkEXl9XmfVBnI&e=