Beginners questions

lucier
Howdy all......:-)

Couple of quick questions re: NetREXX.........

NetREXX produces Java code as an end result, is this correct?
Does NetREXX need to be present to run the resultant Java code on another computer?
How does NetREXX compare with ObjectREXX?
Which would you suggest for a newbie to start off with?  (I have coded with standard REXX for OS/2 for a
while now.)
Can NetREXX handle GUI stuff (WPS, SOM etc)?
Can NetREXX also be used to generate "normal" REXX programs?
Is there a NetREXX FAQ?

Guess that was more than a couple of questions.......sorry about that! <g>

Any info on the above matter would be much appreciated.......thanks! :-)

Re: Beginners questions

Massimiliano Marsiglietti
Ciao,

you wrote:

> NetREXX produces Java code as an end result, is this correct?

NetRexx can produce java source code, by means of the options -nocompile, or
(by default) directly class files.

> Does NetREXX need to be present to run the resultant Java code on another
> computer?

Nope. You may need one or more of the netrexx classes that implement the
features not available in Java (such as the object "Rexx", which is a class
sporting all the methods like .insert, .changestr, etc that we learnt to love), but
you can easily (and legally) redistribute them with your applications. Much like
you would do with any other JavaBean that you collect on the internet.
As an example, I redistribute (with my NetRexx apps) the classes that are stored
inside the NetRexxR.zip package, and that suffices. If you don't use the extra
NetRexx classes, you don't even need to include anything from the NetRexx
package.

> How does NetREXX compare with ObjectREXX?

Tough call. NetRexx only provides a gentler syntax (and a few more things) to
Java, and is therefore bound by what java can do, while Object Rexx doesn't
have such constraints. To put it bluntly, if Mike wants to implement something in
NetRexx that is not allowed by Java, he can't. If on the other hand the Object
Rexx staff wants to implement something, they can and they do.

This is the theory.

In the real world, NetRexx is very enticing because nowadays many entities
invest lots of money into Java and java products, and therefore:

a) Java (the environment, not the language) is quickly (just wish it wasn't SO
quick) catching up, feature-wise, with the modern operating systems, and
therefore the "java poses constraints" point is becoming a moot point.

b) your developing efforts are backed up by an entire industry! I remember
using VX-Rexx years ago -- a great tool, but basically limited to the components
distributed with the package. Nowadays I can choose to incorporate in my
NetRexx apps whatever JavaBean (component in java jargon) I need, and
nearly always I can *choose* among several of them.

In fact I consider the fact that NR is tied to the Java platform as a plus, not a
minus.

> Which would you
> suggest for a newbie to start off with?  (I have coded with standard REXX
> for OS/2 for a   while now.)

Hmm -- they are somewhat similar at a glance (see two sources, and you'll
understand), but as a newbie and in my own very personal experience, I could
learn NetRexx more easily. It's just plain simpler for me. Object Rexx tends to do
object-oriented stuff very well, but at a cost: sheer simplicity is lost.

> Can NetREXX handle GUI stuff (WPS, SOM etc)?

It can handle all of the java classes you throw at it. Therefore, GUI yes in the
form of the Java AWT standard package, WPS/SOM not easily (you need
some kind of interface between java and the platform specific stuff, and this
fact makes the task voodoo-level difficulty if you're also trying to learn the
language).

> Can NetREXX also be used to generate "normal" REXX programs?

No. NetRexx syntax is slightly different form Rexx syntax (eg there's a loop..end
construct replacing do..end in loops), and the object-oriented stuff makes
impossible to have a 1 NR instruction to 1 Rexx instruction mapping.

> Is there a
> NetREXX FAQ?

Sure -- if you go to the main NetRexx page
(http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx) you'll see a link to Dion Gillard FAQ and
FAC (freely available code). Don't forget to grab also your copy of RXFile
(again, link from the main NR page) should you need to open some files from
time to time. You'll also find several other useful NetRexx projects such as
pipes, general purpose classes and network related stuff available from there.

Max

Re: Beginners questions

mcbrides
>Howdy all......:-)

Cheers,

>Couple of quick questions re: NetREXX.........

I'll take a stab at this...

>NetREXX produces Java code as an end result, is this correct?

Yup. You program in NetRexx, which is translated into java, then compiled into
java bytecode... read to run...

>Does NetREXX need to be present to run the resultant Java code on another
>computer?

Yes... and no... You can write apps that require NetRexx to run or you can
write apps that don't. If you're lazy (like I am) you'll rely on the Rexx like
functions that are part of NetRexx and so require the end user to have at least
the NetRexx runtime jar file to execute your code. However, if you're bent on
not forcing that runtime requirement on your users, you can write your app, not
using any NetRexx functions and writing all the required functions in java.

>How does NetREXX compare with ObjectREXX?

I can't offer an opinion as I never really worked with the OO features of
ORexx.

>Which would you suggest for a newbie to start off with?  (I have coded with
>standard REXX for OS/2 for a while now.)

It entirely depends on the use of your creations.

>Can NetREXX handle GUI stuff (WPS, SOM etc)?

GUI via the AWT, "Yes". Anything else, "NO", unless you employ some form of
native interface wich will bind you to that platfrom...

>Can NetREXX also be used to generate "normal" REXX programs?

Hmmm... you mean like quick, casual scripts? It's not really useful for that
purpose. Instead of thinking "NetRexx"... think "Java"...

>Is there a NetREXX FAQ?

Wow! A GREAT place to start is www2/hursley.ibm.com/netrexx. Tons of links and
free software. Another GREAT resource to get is THE NETREXX LANGUAGE by
M.F.Cowlishaw. Also, have a look see at wwwinfo.cern.ch/news/netrexx...

>Guess that was more than a couple of questions.......sorry about that! <g>

I had fun! Relax, you're in good company.

>Any info on the above matter would be much appreciated.......thanks! :-)

The other thing I can tell you is, all the messages in this maillist are
archived at the Hursley site. They can be FTped and massaged in such a way that
they make a wonderful reference...

--

/-------------------------------------\
| Jerry McBride                       |

Jerry wrote:

> >Can NetREXX also be used to generate "normal" REXX programs?
>
> Hmmm... you mean like quick, casual scripts? It's not really useful for
> that purpose. Instead of thinking "NetRexx"... think "Java"...

Hmm evidently you've not been exposed (enough?) to an operating system that
doesn't have a scripting language, such as W95.. :-)

Seriously, for people using NT and 95 NetRexx can be very useful as a
scripting language.

Max

Re: Beginners questions

mcbrides
>Ciao,
>
>Jerry wrote:
>
>> >Can NetREXX also be used to generate "normal" REXX programs?
>>
>> Hmmm... you mean like quick, casual scripts? It's not really useful for
>> that purpose. Instead of thinking "NetRexx"... think "Java"...
>
>Hmm evidently you've not been exposed (enough?) to an operating system that
>doesn't have a scripting language, such as W95.. :-)

How true. <G> Even the DOS boxes I have run rexx...

>Seriously, for people using NT and 95 NetRexx can be very useful as a
>scripting language.

Well... Wouldn't rexx or Orexx be easier to use than NetRexx for simple
scripting on the win platform? If you can install Java/NetRexx, surely you
can find a rexx that'll run...

--

/-------------------------------------\
| Jerry McBride                       |

Re: Beginners questions

Massimiliano Marsiglietti
Ciao!

> Well... Wouldn't rexx or Orexx be easier to use than NetRexx for simple
> scripting on the win platform? If you can install Java/NetRexx, surely you
> can find a rexx that'll run...

Yes, perhaps, but one strange thing that happened to me is that I wouldn't go
back even to classic Rexx. NetRexx is being actively developed (featuris,
featuritis featuriti) and has many features that classic (gray, small sized and
cheaper?) Rexx doesn't have.

To present an example, the NetRexx one-pass compile stage of MaxBase.nrx
makes Java abort and mumble with OutOfMemory exceptions all around, and I
also have to keep synched a lot of classes, therefore I've written some batch
files to compile with -nocompile and then "javac" the whole enchilada (not a
beautiful sight -- takes more than a quarter of hour with a Pentium 233 using
Os/2 Java 1.1.6).. in NetRexx! they work great under Os/2, Linux and Win32.
And I don't have to worry about the Unix version of classic Rexx having some
slightly different behaviour from the Os/2 one -- I use the very same compiler!

And also the registration generator is written in NetRexx. It's basically a script,
but this way I can quickly generate MaxBase licenses no matter what partition
I'm in at the moment.

Etc. This human being loves his copy of NetRexx. :-)

BTW, Get a copy of the latest San Marchesini's creation if you already didn't --
makes NetRexx even better for scripting!

Max

Re: Beginners questions

lucier
To all mailing list participants who responded to the following message:

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my newbie enquiries regarding NetREXX; some good
solid information all around was passed along to me!  Much appreciated! :-)

** Reply to note from [hidden email] Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:42:57 PST