Loop over indexed strings: Java compilation warning

Loop over indexed strings: Java compilation warning

gustavo_mindreau
Hello,
Working with indexed strings I noticed a Java compilation warning (java "1.8.0_152") in NetRexx (3.07),

        Program test.nrx
          === class test ===
            function main(String[])
        Note: /test.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
        Compilation of 'test.nrx' successful

I do not remember getting this in the previous release (3.06).
I reproduced this with the standard example from the NetRexx Language Reference (page 88).

        Class test public

        Method main(args=String[]) public static

          mycoll          = ''
          mycoll['Tom']   = 1
          mycoll['Dick']  = 2
          mycoll['Harry'] = 3

          Loop name over mycoll
           Say mycoll[name]
           end

Re: Loop over indexed strings: Java compilation warning

rvjansen
Hi Gustavo,

this is a message from the Java compiler, not NetRexx.

René.

On 8 Nov 2018, at 00:39, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Mike Cowlishaw
Yes, but the NetRexx compiler's job is to ensure there are no messages from the Java compiler ...

Mike

Re: Loop over indexed strings: Java compilationwarning

ThSITC

Hi Mike & Rene,

Many Thanks for this explanation ... Kindly, Thomas.

Am 08.11.2018 um 08:51 schrieb Mike Cowlishaw:
Yes, but the NetRexx compiler's job is to ensure there are no messages from the Java compiler ...

Mike

Re: Loop over indexed strings: Java compilationwarning

rvjansen
Hi Mike,

true, but in some cases, generics come to mind, java has changed its attitude on what is desirable; we could suppress these messages (as was done sometimes); I need to have a closer look at what particular deprecation is flagged here.

best regards,

René.

On 8 Nov 2018, at 08:51, Mike Cowlishaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, but the NetRexx compiler's job is to ensure there are no messages from the Java compiler ...

Mike

Re: Loop over indexed strings: Java compilationwarning

Mike Cowlishaw
:-)   Yes .. I often have similar problems with GCC .. something that was fine before now raises a warning.   Since I only accept clean compiles (no warnings or errors) in my code, sometimes some quite big reworking is needed.   <sigh>