May I suggest that option -savelog becomes the default in NetRexxC ?

May I suggest that option -savelog becomes the default in NetRexxC ?

ThSITC
Hello there,

as probably most of us, we are using NRC (e.g. NetRexxC) a lot of times
each day.

As I'm used to edit a couple of programs before I am attemting to
RECOMPILE them all, and also tend to RECOMPILE a whole directory AT
ONCE, e.g.:

Cmd>nrc *.nrx

my output on my screen is usually too large for (damned) Windows 10
screen size.

Thus, Currently, I am using:

Cmd>nrc *.nrx -savelog

to SAVE the Output of the latest NetRexxC-Compilation so that I can
inspect if later with my preferred Editor.

My preferred Editor is Jedit, and as a help, I did write a small batch
file so that I can invoke Jedit (my preferred Editor) thru:

Cmd>x NetRexxC.log

Now, as a matter of fact, the NetRexxC.log is ONLY produced when option
-savelog is present.

Wouldn't it be a GOOD IDEA to make option -savelog the default for
NetRexxC ????

Kindly, Thomas Schneider.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=hF_BOfEe3YdHclKWGLw0OzRHMUs4aBg8vr782NCfjrQ&s=ckXbaY75Cw71a_xgT_J7ShMSUdBd-RDTd-wZffshuCU&e=

Re: May I suggest that option -savelog becomes the default in NetRexxC ?

rvjansen
No, I don’t think so. A lot of time was spent recently to avoid disk I/O during compile - now even the Java in-between source is kept in-memory before its compiler works on it - on recent systems we now have near-realtime execution of CMS Pipelines, in the 90 milliseconds range - for two translators and a compiler, so we are not going to undo that with a default log save.

René.

> On 27 Mar 2020, at 17:20, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello there,
>
> as probably most of us, we are using NRC (e.g. NetRexxC) a lot of times each day.
>
> As I'm used to edit a couple of programs before I am attemting to RECOMPILE them all, and also tend to RECOMPILE a whole directory AT ONCE, e.g.:
>
> Cmd>nrc *.nrx
>
> my output on my screen is usually too large for (damned) Windows 10 screen size.
>
> Thus, Currently, I am using:
>
> Cmd>nrc *.nrx -savelog
>
> to SAVE the Output of the latest NetRexxC-Compilation so that I can inspect if later with my preferred Editor.
>
> My preferred Editor is Jedit, and as a help, I did write a small batch file so that I can invoke Jedit (my preferred Editor) thru:
>
> Cmd>x NetRexxC.log
>
> Now, as a matter of fact, the NetRexxC.log is ONLY produced when option -savelog is present.
>
> Wouldn't it be a GOOD IDEA to make option -savelog the default for NetRexxC ????
>
> Kindly, Thomas Schneider.
>

> --
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=hF_BOfEe3YdHclKWGLw0OzRHMUs4aBg8vr782NCfjrQ&s=ckXbaY75Cw71a_xgT_J7ShMSUdBd-RDTd-wZffshuCU&e=
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=ugAyGK24dgsHgWDnRyxVYO3gpK27oNAndD1XiWLTsbU&s=NuGY8X3ElnyFZE0CvAg6Ci-AkkCLMKKj3HXoz_6TiSg&e=

Re: May I suggest that option -savelog becomes the default in NetRexxC ?

ThSITC
OK, I do see now the advantages of Your approaach ....

Kindly, and KEEP HEALTHY, even in COVID-19 times ...

By the way, it has been a SURPRISE as well as GREAT NEWS to me, what
Kermit Kiser did do with Mike F. Cowlishaw's NetRexx Compiler.

As I did already say, several Years ago ...

The Best  Compiler I have seen in my whole live, knowing RPL, PL/I,
FORTRAN (all dialects), BASIC, and all those other more recent computer
languages.

Congratiulations, Mike F. Cowlishaw:

Indeed a sign for other compiler/interpreter BUILDERS !

Sincereley,

Thomas Schneider.

Am 28.03.2020 um 12:52 schrieb [hidden email]:

> No, I don’t think so. A lot of time was spent recently to avoid disk I/O during compile - now even the Java in-between source is kept in-memory before its compiler works on it - on recent systems we now have near-realtime execution of CMS Pipelines, in the 90 milliseconds range - for two translators and a compiler, so we are not going to undo that with a default log save.
>
> René.
>
>> On 27 Mar 2020, at 17:20, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello there,
>>
>> as probably most of us, we are using NRC (e.g. NetRexxC) a lot of times each day.
>>
>> As I'm used to edit a couple of programs before I am attemting to RECOMPILE them all, and also tend to RECOMPILE a whole directory AT ONCE, e.g.:
>>
>> Cmd>nrc *.nrx
>>
>> my output on my screen is usually too large for (damned) Windows 10 screen size.
>>
>> Thus, Currently, I am using:
>>
>> Cmd>nrc *.nrx -savelog
>>
>> to SAVE the Output of the latest NetRexxC-Compilation so that I can inspect if later with my preferred Editor.
>>
>> My preferred Editor is Jedit, and as a help, I did write a small batch file so that I can invoke Jedit (my preferred Editor) thru:
>>
>> Cmd>x NetRexxC.log
>>
>> Now, as a matter of fact, the NetRexxC.log is ONLY produced when option -savelog is present.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be a GOOD IDEA to make option -savelog the default for NetRexxC ????
>>
>> Kindly, Thomas Schneider.
>>

>> --
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=hF_BOfEe3YdHclKWGLw0OzRHMUs4aBg8vr782NCfjrQ&s=ckXbaY75Cw71a_xgT_J7ShMSUdBd-RDTd-wZffshuCU&e=
>> [hidden email]
>> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=ugAyGK24dgsHgWDnRyxVYO3gpK27oNAndD1XiWLTsbU&s=NuGY8X3ElnyFZE0CvAg6Ci-AkkCLMKKj3HXoz_6TiSg&e=

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=s2EDMNrpB3TLxQf7xIUtYrO2_sQnha_avw4plf2p-oU&s=73eWDy-6BCvrgsWescy94Z7aKTQK8OewQaCkn8cTxoY&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=s2EDMNrpB3TLxQf7xIUtYrO2_sQnha_avw4plf2p-oU&s=DwA4buhdHCNn9JewwoAWSMVYq5SdAcQ72L3-8vhq_DQ&e=

Re: May I suggest that option -savelog becomes the default in NetRexxC ?

YES, *now I do understand* ...

Kermit Kisers's and Your own efforts have been ONLY to make the former
IBM NetRexx Compiler mor quickly and efficient ...

This might and should and would have been a *GOOD DECISION* !!!! :-)

Thank You, Kermit and Rene, and all who did contribute to this !

  :-)

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=MOIcesESaOg1CS5vxoGtU3r0E9pT4QkWiqW-aZuLIV8&s=mIMIJp8xUKQAmiFN4_L06umanpsBhzupDZko2be83P8&e=