NetRexx 3.04 GA released

rvjansen
NetRexx 3.04 has just been released on the netrexx.org site. Only very small (but useful!) improvements have gone into RC2 to make for this GA release.
What is there is a better and faster NetRexx, that knows more about its platforms and will run easier than ever. It also has improvements in the integration with important other language infrastructure.

A great number of issues has been cleared from out JIRA board. As a project manager, I would like to thank Kermit Kiser, and every other committer and contributor. NetRexx has a bright future due to your support.

Pipes for NetRexx is now fully open sourced and for the first time integrated in the distribution. Unfortunately, its documentation is not yet complete - but follow the daily build of that, which will be delivered now every day from our automated building system to netrexx.org , as will be the 4.00 PRE release.

A clickable installer jar will be added without announcement in a very short while, as you are accustomed.

In the hope that this release will not require any emergency updates, I wish you all a happy time with it. We surely are having one!
Thank you for all your support and pleasantness on this list.

best regards,

René Jansen,
project manager, RexxLA NetRexx project.

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

Jeff Hennick
René ,

Thank You!  For this and ALL you do.

Jeff

On 7/1/2015 5:59 PM, René Jansen wrote:
[...]

Kermit Kiser
+1!

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

Michael (maillists) Dag

Great job again!

Michael

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

christel.u.w.pachl christel.u.w.pachl
My Laptop died. Bought a new one :-( (Windows 8.1)
Installed many things, among them jdk1.8.0_45
Now the question(s):
NetRexx QuickGuide says:
$env:path = ”c:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_02\bin;\Users\rvj\bin;”
$env:classpath = ”.;\Users\rvj\lib\NetRexxC.jar”
Change of version is easily comprehended!
BUT
javac -version does not find javac - The path is not set to its \bin
(actually there is no CLASSPATH at all yet)
NetRexx: does it not need the ..\bin to find tne nrc.bat ?
--
Walter Pachl
PS I don't know what PowerShell is

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

Kermit Kiser
Hi Walter --

I don't quite understand your question or problem. Have you installed
NetRexx? Did you add the NetRexx bin directory to your Windows PATH (not
required but it makes the "nrc" scripts available) as mentioned in
QuickGuide item 3.3.3?

The QuickGuide lines you mentioned apply to a different environment than
yours and should be ignored.

"javac" is part of the Java language JDK and is not used by NetRexx.

If you have more problems or questions about your NetRexx environment,
please provide the output from the latest "enviroscan" program:

https://kenai.com/projects/netrexx-plus/downloads/download/Enviroscan/enviroscan.class

-- Kermit

On 2015-07-02 10:59 PM, Walter Pachl wrote:

> My Laptop died. Bought a new one :-( (Windows 8.1)
> Installed many things, among them jdk1.8.0_45
> Now the question(s):
> NetRexx QuickGuide says:
> $env:path = ”c:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_02\bin;\Users\rvj\bin;”
> $env:classpath = ”.;\Users\rvj\lib\NetRexxC.jar”
> Change of version is easily comprehended!
> BUT
> javac -version does not find javac - The path is not set to its \bin
> (actually there is no CLASSPATH at all yet)
> NetRexx: does it not need the ..\bin to find tne nrc.bat ?
> --
> Walter Pachl
> PS I don't know what PowerShell is
> PPS Installing ooRexx was as easy as ever!

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

christel.u.w.pachl christel.u.w.pachl

Hi Kermit (and Rene),

 Have you installedNetRexx?  --> yes
Did you add the NetRexx bin directory to your Windows PATH (not
required but it makes the "nrc" scripts available) as mentioned in QuickGuide item 3.3.3? --> NO :.(

The QuickGuide lines you mentioned apply to a different environment than yours and should be ignored.
--> I failed to do so :-(

The good news: It works now!!!! (after setting PATH and CLASSPATH)

Remaining question(s):

1) Why does javac not work after installing the JDK? (AFTER adding the Java bin it DOES)

2) Should these lines in the QuickStart doc be corrected?
$env:path = ”c:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_02\bin;\Users\rvj\bin;”
$env:classpath = ”.;\Users\rvj\lib\NetRexxC.jar”
They seem to be rvj-related and I can't see (find yet) a Users Directory in my Windows 8.1)
Rene has apparently copied the NetRexxC.jar

But again: it works and a thousand thanks and a nice weekend
Walter

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

Dave Woodman
Hi Walter,

To hopefully answer your questions:-

>1) Why does javac not work after installing the JDK? (AFTER adding the Java bin it DOES)
A JDK installation contains the JDK and the JRE. My observations are that the JRE is put on the path, and the JDK must be added if required (javac is part of the JDK).

>2) Should these lines in the QuickStart doc be corrected?
>$env:path = ”c:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_02\bin;\Users\rvj\bin;”
>$env:classpath = ”.;\Users\rvj\lib\NetRexxC.jar”
>They seem to be rvj-related and I can't see (find yet) a Users Directory in my Windows 8.1) Rene has apparently copied the NetRexxC.jar

Assuming a standard windows setup, your home directory would be C:\Users\<your user name>
In environments where the home directories have been moved the use then the actual location should be used.

The C:\Users\rvj\bin and lib entries above refer to the directories that would be created should the distribution be unpacked in the home directory, or to locations manually located.

Borrowing conventions from elsewhere, the general form would be to use %NETREXX_HOME%\bin and %NETREXX_HOME%\lib - if we assume that the distribution was unpacked to a directory pointed to by NETREXX_HOME

So, in short, the example paths do need to be modified to suit your environment, and I hope that there is enough information here to permit that.

Cheers,

          Dave.

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

Walter, for resolving the 'javac' not found issue I had to move the
'tools.jar' file from the ...\jdk\lib\ directory
to the respective ...\jre\lib\ext\ directory ...
Thomas.

Am 03/07/2015 um 22:23 schrieb Kermit Kiser:

> Hi Walter --
>
> I don't quite understand your question or problem. Have you installed
> NetRexx? Did you add the NetRexx bin directory to your Windows PATH
> (not required but it makes the "nrc" scripts available) as mentioned
> in QuickGuide item 3.3.3?
>
> The QuickGuide lines you mentioned apply to a different environment
> than yours and should be ignored.
>
> "javac" is part of the Java language JDK and is not used by NetRexx.
>
> If you have more problems or questions about your NetRexx environment,
> please provide the output from the latest "enviroscan" program:
>
> https://kenai.com/projects/netrexx-plus/downloads/download/Enviroscan/enviroscan.class
>

> -- Kermit
>
> On 2015-07-02 10:59 PM, Walter Pachl wrote:
>> My Laptop died. Bought a new one :-( (Windows 8.1)
>> Installed many things, among them jdk1.8.0_45
>> Now the question(s):
>> NetRexx QuickGuide says:
>> $env:path = ”c:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_02\bin;\Users\rvj\bin;”
>> $env:classpath = ”.;\Users\rvj\lib\NetRexxC.jar”
>> Change of version is easily comprehended!
>> BUT
>> javac -version does not find javac - The path is not set to its \bin
>> (actually there is no CLASSPATH at all yet)
>> NetRexx: does it not need the ..\bin to find tne nrc.bat ?
>> --
>> Walter Pachl
>> PS I don't know what PowerShell is
>> PPS Installing ooRexx was as easy as ever!

Re: NetRexx 3.04 GA released

Kermit Kiser
Glad to hear NetRexx is working for you now!

Oracle recommends that you NOT use the CLASSPATH environment variable. I
agree with that recommendation. Setting the CLASSPATH should not be
required.

Regarding your javac question: Oracle in infinite wisdom has decided
that even though you installed the JDK, you don't really want to have
access to it. Therefore you must manually add the JDK bin to the Windows
path in place of the JRE bin added by Java.

-- Kermit