Newbie on mobiles asking for advice: Netrexx, Java, C...?

Newbie on mobiles asking for advice: Netrexx, Java, C...?

JoseD
Hi all!

I'm newbie in this forum and very newbie in mobiles.
I am a senior mainframer and I have programmed a lot in Rexx on Mainframes z/OS and PCs (Windows), as well as C on microproccesors.

I have developed a household and I need to process its log IN AN ANDROID MOBILE (no in a PC).
The log is a txt file having 130000 short lines; a simple calculation is done per line.

As I do not know mobiles world, I started making easily an app with MIT APP Inventor, but processing log file took 2 hours (!) on my Samsung mobile.
Then I made a normal Rexx program running it with "Rexxoid" (by Jaxo) and it took only one minute to process.
But I want to make a program which doesn't require another big app like Rexxoid. So I'm trying Netrexx.

But now my doubts:

1. I have copied NetRexxR.jar and my program (myprog.class) to my mobile. But AFAIK Android/Google does not include now Java in their Android mobiles.
So How can I run my Netrexx program in mobile?
It means, when I issue the following command on the appropriate shell in mobile it says that "java not found":

          java -cp NetRexxR.jar:. myprog

2. Can I make an .apk file after compiling with NetRexx?

3. I have read that Google uses Kotlin instead of Java.
Should I use Kotlin? How?
Everything I read about Kotlin and similars finishes driving me to install more and more applications just to get a "hello world"...

4. I'm afraid that in the end I'll have to program on pure Java with Android developer, but I don't fancy to learn now java just for a simple program like I need.
So I'm considering to program in C .
Again, I read Google and get instructions to install more and more tools...
So, in the end I'm trying C4DROID.

But, before starting a heavy conversion from Rexx to C, I would appreciate very much from you all your hints, suggestions, inputs (and technical help for Netrexx) about my approaches.
Of course, what I would really like is to make the program in Rexx distributing then just an .apk file for everybody (or even distributing a .class plus NetRexxR.jar file).

Thank you in advance

Re: Newbie on mobiles asking for advice: Netrexx, Java, C...?

Jason Martin
It has been awhile but a NetRexx App should still run find.

I had one or two in the Play Store and Kermit did too.

The Compiler part will not run on the device. (I tried many ways)

You have to do the App in Studio and reference NetRexxR.jar

When I could do them in Eclipse it was easy.

I have old outdated hardware.

When I needed a Super Computer and 500 billion gigs of Software for a
261 byte file,

I moved on.