Pipes Manual Missing Information?

ColinK
Hello.

I am interested in playing with the pipes feature of NetRexx.  I have
downloaded v3.08-BETA and am reading the Pipes PDF manual under the
documents folder.  It appears to me that there are pages and sections that
should have information but are showing up blank.

Example 1 p.5 Listing 2.4 Hello World4.  The pipe command is shown but there
is no example output.  The rest of p.5 is blank as is p.6.  Perhaps this was
intentional but it is unexpected.  Now p.6 might be intentionally blank to
force new sections to begin on odd numbered pages.

Example 2 p.50 12.79 specs.  There is a box with nothing in it so I am not
sure what it means.  (I am trying to following an example posted recently in
the mailing group which used specs).

There are many other examples through out the document.  Perhaps this manual
is still a work in progress?  Is there some other place I could reference
NetRexx pipes information.

Thanks
ColinK

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=huOaKTg_1AcaGMV-UByQBE3QH7-IpVI-3TShAeQ50yI&s=eMfs8c_hlvEI76uCVTrc5BnKTO-roDUe6ysHalXt3Mo&e=

Re: Pipes Manual Missing Information?

Jeff Hennick-3

Colin,

Welcome to the piping world.

I have not yet worked with the V3.08-BETA or its documentation.  Years ago I did use it extensively, including some stages currently included.

I do have an earlier version of the documentation: September 2011.

Instead of the traditional Hello World, it has this (note the old use of ! as a stage separator instead of | ):

To test the installation, we can run a pipeline from the command line.

Running a pipeline from the command line

To run a pipeline from the commandline, type:

pipe "(test) literal arg() ! dup 999 ! count words ! console"

The first time you use the pipe command in a new directory it will create a default pipes.cnf file for you.

You should see a message that the pipe compiler is processing your pipe and soon after that messages from the NetRexx compiler as it processes the pipe.

To run the pipe type:

java test some words

The pipe should then output:

2000

The draft of an HTML version of the manual, which also has updates by a "younger me," in 2011, is at  https://jeff-h.com/njpipes/njpipesJH3.html  NOTES: At the time it was called njpipes and it used the ! as the default stage separator.  It may be of use, or a source of confusion!

Jeff Hennick

On 7/28/2019 1:30 AM, ColinK wrote:
[...]

rvjansen
Hi Jeff,

thanks for answering this and pointing me to that version of the docs.

Colin, yes, I know. Most of these places where things just stop are when there were phonecalls, visitors and other source of interruptions, some to do with work and some to do with cats. Pipes has suffered particular bad luck with this.

I would release 3.08 now if it was not for a bug in the pipes compiler that I discovered last week when working on a compile-and-run pipe processor. It is not bad and it is twenty years old but I need to fix it before release; for the moment, just make sure your pipe definition, if in a file, has only one dot (‘.’) in the filename and ends in .njp - things I occasionally do like naming files pipespec.old.njp while experimenting - will not always (I’d say mostly not) work.

The sad thing with the pipes manual is that it started the wrong way (’throw some things together with filters and includes’) and got stuck somewhere. The even sadder thing is that one could eminently use the VM Pipelines manual if one just would know the small differences. I am tempted to toss the whole book and start anew some day.

Maybe someone on the list has a solution. Mine would be along the lines of editing all the stage specifications, list the differences with VM in a structured way and only document those as a delta on the VM book. Also, a ‘cookbook’ approach with only good working examples would be great. For this I would probably start a wiki to scrape for the cookbook.

All of which does not mean that the 3.08 is the most stable and dependable version yet, and very much fit for play and serious production work.

best regards,

René.

On 28 Jul 2019, at 13:59, Jeff Hennick <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

jlturriff
On 2019-07-28 09:54:54 René Jansen wrote:

> [...]

> >> downloaded v3.08-BETA and am reading the Pipes PDF manual under the
> >> documents folder.  It appears to me that there are pages and sections
> >> that should have information but are showing up blank.
> >>
> >> Example 1 p.5 Listing 2.4 Hello World4.  The pipe command is shown but
> >> there is no example output.  The rest of p.5 is blank as is p.6.
> >> Perhaps this was intentional but it is unexpected.  Now p.6 might be
> >> intentionally blank to force new sections to begin on odd numbered
> >> pages.
> >>
> >> Example 2 p.50 12.79 specs.  There is a box with nothing in it so I am
> >> not sure what it means.  (I am trying to following an example posted
> >> recently in the mailing group which used specs).
> >>
> >> There are many other examples through out the document.  Perhaps this
> >> manual is still a work in progress?  Is there some other place I could

        Why not produce a document that describes just the differences between
NetRexx pipelines and CMS/TSO Pipelines, with a link to, or a copy of, the
CMS/TSO Pipelines Author's Edition from Marist University's site
(https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__vm.marist.edu_-7Epipeline_pipeline.pdf-29-3F&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=yGQMEvRlKKQPGva9uXcEOmC8SyQbWZb8oUU-Jrm3Jfw&s=RPEHXLeQU-MwhaHYO-WrttKm7WyplJEr41shqPm_cjQ&e=

Leslie

Re: Pipes Manual Missing Information?

ColinK
Hi Rene and Jeff

Many thanks for the replies and the pointers to other sources of
documentation.  I have done some poking around the Internet looking for VM
Pipeline manuals and references and if NetRexx can do even half of what VM
pipes can do it will be a real winner.  Pipes look very powerful.  I will
probably dig in in earnest after my son's upcoming wedding is over.  :-)

Cheers
Colin

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=ZthYM7dkAP8cKl7Sqs7NBZ4b30X8wXQpgceULIk6lgM&s=6OD093ERd3Aj6l5-TKj7hF_40-D7caJlTw2rsON9T9Y&e=

Re: Pipes Manual Missing Information?

Jeff Hennick-3

Colin,

Congratulations to all involved!

Yes, Netrexx pipes can do it, and more since it works with full objects, not just lines of text.

The primary limitation is that not all the VM builtin stages have been implemented, yet, and some do not have all the options, yet.  (There are some VM-only stages that will never be implemented, of course.)  And there are a few additional Netrexx only stages & options.

My 2011 vintage HTML manual ( https://jeff-h.com/njpipes/njpipesJH3.html ) does list ALL of the then VM and Netrexx stages and the differences.  (Thank you, Leslie.)  Again, there the default stage separator there is ! not |, and the name was njpipes.

[I do have some updated stages, and lots of test cases, to add the missing options.  Unfortunately,  Java apparently requires these to have new class/stage names for testing, so they are not available for release.  --  I come to Netrexx from Rexx, not Java.]

I, too, am unavailable for the next month.

Jeff

On 7/29/2019 12:19 AM, ColinK wrote:
Hi Rene and Jeff

Many thanks for the replies and the pointers to other sources of
documentation.  I have done some poking around the Internet looking for VM
Pipeline manuals and references and if NetRexx can do even half of what VM
pipes can do it will be a real winner.  Pipes look very powerful.  I will
probably dig in in earnest after my son's upcoming wedding is over.  :-)

Cheers
Colin

Re: Pipes Manual Missing Information?

rvjansen
Hi Jeff,

if you send me updates I can integrate those.

best regards,

René.