how to find tools.jar

Phillip Gramly-2
I am attempting to install netrexx 4.01.
the quick start guide has this in section 3.4:

Make the file [...]/lib/tools.jar (which contains the javac compiler) in the
Java tree visible to the JVM. You can do this either by adding its path and
filename to the CLASSPATH environment variable, or by moving it to the
jre/lib/ext directory in the Java tree. This file sometime goes under different
names, that will be mentioned in the platform-specific appendices.

but there are no platform-specific appendices.
i cannot find tools.jar on my system. (e.g. $ sudo find / -name tools*.jar - nothing is found)
web search suggest that it has been removed from java 9 (and i presume above).
so, what should i do?

this is Linux Mint OS 20.1 with java 11

$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.10" 2021-01-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.10+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.10+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04, mixed mode, sharing)

Re: how to find tools.jar

Dave Woodman
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Hi Philip,

tools.jar does not exist in 1.9 and later (neither does rt.jar). See https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/migrate/toc.htm#JSMIG-GUID-A78CC891-701D-4549-AA4E-B8DD90228B4B for more information.

The functionality is moved elsewhere in the JDK, so the step you are trying to complete should not be necessary.

Dave.

Re: how to find tools.jar

Phillip Gramly-2
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Soooo, since netrexx 4.01 is now supporting newer releases of java, should the quick start manual be amended to explain this? also, there is a reference to an appendix that is not in the manual...

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 00:26, Dave Woodman <[hidden email]> wrote:
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Hi Philip,

tools.jar does not exist in 1.9 and later (neither does rt.jar). See https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/migrate/toc.htm#JSMIG-GUID-A78CC891-701D-4549-AA4E-B8DD90228B4B for more information.

The functionality is moved elsewhere in the JDK, so the step you are trying to complete should not be necessary.

Dave.

Re: how to find tools.jar

Jeff Hennick-3
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Yes!  The documentation has this and some others to be corrected.  All help is welcomed!  Open Source, Open Documentation.

On 4/22/2021 10:15 AM, Phillip Gramly wrote:
[...]

rvjansen
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Hi Philip,

I have to look at the wording; tools.jar is only necessary on the classpath when you are not using the built-in Eclipse java compiler (from NetRexxF.jar). When running on java 8, with NetRexxC.jar, it is still needed. I’ll also have a look at the missing appendix; there have been a lot of operations on this manual.

Best regards,

René.