netrexx formatter for lexx?

rvjansen
This is a question for Bill Finlason: was there ever a LEXX NetRexx syntax coloring program ( back when VM still had NetRexx )?
I am thoroughly enjoying your other work on VM!

best regards,

René.

Re: netrexx formatter for lexx?

billfen
Hello Rene,

Thank you for the kind words.

MFC's late 80's LEXX editor, as I have often said, was brilliant work and well before its time.  It was written in PL/I, and allowed plugin "parsers" which were used for syntax coloring for the 3279 color terminal.  The original implementation included a GML parser for the Oxford English Dictionary effort.

I developed a number of different LEXX parsers for various programming languages including REXX, PL/I, COBOL, 360 Assembler, MVS JCL, etc.  The best was the mainframe REXX parser which not only did syntax coloring but also provided full error checking.  I don't claim to have invented it, but it was clearly early work which I had not seen before.  NetRexx (if I remember correctly) was under development when I retired from IBM in January, 1996.  So sorry, no NetRexx parser for LEXX :(.

I would comment that I underestimated the incredibly strong tie between most programmers and their programming editors.  Many would change their lifelong religion or sell their mother into slavery before switching.  The failure of my Eclipse NetRexx plugin was partially for that reason.

Time moves on - I turned 80 a few weeks ago and have slowed my programming a bit, but I still have a few things I'd like to accomplish.  While I have some minor disagreements with Mike regarding NetRexx, I wish only the best for it, now and in the future.

Bill Fenlason

---- "René Jansen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a question for Bill Finlason: was there ever a LEXX NetRexx syntax coloring program ( back when VM still had NetRexx )?
I am thoroughly enjoying your other work on VM!

best regards,

René.
Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=K_8RRBCZiCcYTw8n-p3no60GpfQvIFCbjuCpiYeL0Q4&s=xCxFTh_q-xzBZTSHchizdZJ144zfFOiWufFjOVd6gBk&e=

Re: netrexx formatter for lexx?

ThSITC
Hello Bill,

as You might know, I am the author of Rexx2Nrx (The classic Rexx to
NetRexx Converter).

Rexx2Nrx is IBM compiled Rexx compatible, with a few exceptions, like
INTERPRET.

When You would give me access to Your mainframe Rexx LEXX Parser, I
could try to to Translate it to NetRexx, using Rexx2Nrx.

Bill, Rene, what do You think of this idea?

Kindly,

Thomas Schneider, Vienna, Austria.

====================================================================================================

Am 28.03.2019 um 07:11 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hello Rene,
>
> Thank you for the kind words.
>
> MFC's late 80's LEXX editor, as I have often said, was brilliant work and well before its time.  It was written in PL/I, and allowed plugin "parsers" which were used for syntax coloring for the 3279 color terminal.  The original implementation included a GML parser for the Oxford English Dictionary effort.
>
> I developed a number of different LEXX parsers for various programming languages including REXX, PL/I, COBOL, 360 Assembler, MVS JCL, etc.  The best was the mainframe REXX parser which not only did syntax coloring but also provided full error checking.  I don't claim to have invented it, but it was clearly early work which I had not seen before.  NetRexx (if I remember correctly) was under development when I retired from IBM in January, 1996.  So sorry, no NetRexx parser for LEXX :(.
>
> I would comment that I underestimated the incredibly strong tie between most programmers and their programming editors.  Many would change their lifelong religion or sell their mother into slavery before switching.  The failure of my Eclipse NetRexx plugin was partially for that reason.
>
> Time moves on - I turned 80 a few weeks ago and have slowed my programming a bit, but I still have a few things I'd like to accomplish.  While I have some minor disagreements with Mike regarding NetRexx, I wish only the best for it, now and in the future.
>
> Bill Fenlason
>
> ---- "René Jansen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is a question for Bill Finlason: was there ever a LEXX NetRexx syntax coloring program ( back when VM still had NetRexx )?
> I am thoroughly enjoying your other work on VM!
>
> best regards,
>
> René.
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=K_8RRBCZiCcYTw8n-p3no60GpfQvIFCbjuCpiYeL0Q4&s=xCxFTh_q-xzBZTSHchizdZJ144zfFOiWufFjOVd6gBk&e=

> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OOptvFyHIofUzdzPTSm1pepXlV7NBSZQbi69ohsRcP0&s=3bxhWra8fRtfKO7XS8PSWq5he05qw5JIin6rSMYxNmE&e=

---
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OOptvFyHIofUzdzPTSm1pepXlV7NBSZQbi69ohsRcP0&s=7KWm0laMr42TQcmOauIavsrDsA5zpuglO5nVRzwLRv4&e=

Re: netrexx formatter for lexx?

rvjansen
Hi Thomas,

the source is probably PL/I and I am not sure IBM is willing to part with it.

best regards,

René.

On 28 Mar 2019, at 11:17, Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes, as Rene said, the source is probably long gone.  I left all my source files at IBM over 20 years ago.

Bill

> [...]

>> Time moves on - I turned 80 a few weeks ago and have slowed my programming a bit, but I still have a few things I'd like to accomplish.  While I have some minor disagreements with Mike regarding NetRexx, I wish only the best for it, now and in the future.
>>
>> Bill Fenlason
>>
>> ---- "René Jansen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This is a question for Bill Finlason: was there ever a LEXX NetRexx syntax coloring program ( back when VM still had NetRexx )?
>> I am thoroughly enjoying your other work on VM!
>>
>> best regards,
>>
>> René.
>> [hidden email]
>> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=K_8RRBCZiCcYTw8n-p3no60GpfQvIFCbjuCpiYeL0Q4&s=xCxFTh_q-xzBZTSHchizdZJ144zfFOiWufFjOVd6gBk&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=K_8RRBCZiCcYTw8n-p3no60GpfQvIFCbjuCpiYeL0Q4&s=xCxFTh_q-xzBZTSHchizdZJ144zfFOiWufFjOVd6gBk&e=>

>> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OOptvFyHIofUzdzPTSm1pepXlV7NBSZQbi69ohsRcP0&s=3bxhWra8fRtfKO7XS8PSWq5he05qw5JIin6rSMYxNmE&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OOptvFyHIofUzdzPTSm1pepXlV7NBSZQbi69ohsRcP0&s=3bxhWra8fRtfKO7XS8PSWq5he05qw5JIin6rSMYxNmE&e=>
>>

> ---
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OOptvFyHIofUzdzPTSm1pepXlV7NBSZQbi69ohsRcP0&s=7KWm0laMr42TQcmOauIavsrDsA5zpuglO5nVRzwLRv4&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=OOptvFyHIofUzdzPTSm1pepXlV7NBSZQbi69ohsRcP0&s=7KWm0laMr42TQcmOauIavsrDsA5zpuglO5nVRzwLRv4&e=>

> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=F6VKafYdEqp4yQPidLUbTfgtIYrR9WSKgHYPLpzkOXY&s=8oMOkMHbE6sOhkKO_0-xFwdIiy4rRktwSvYXqEQWFWA&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=F6VKafYdEqp4yQPidLUbTfgtIYrR9WSKgHYPLpzkOXY&s=8oMOkMHbE6sOhkKO_0-xFwdIiy4rRktwSvYXqEQWFWA&e=>

Hello Rene, and all:

As You might know, my former Rey Compiler (ReyC, never released, however) does  incorporate a (still limited) PL/I Parser and and PL/I to Netrexx Translator.

When IBM is willing to send the PL/I Source code (as a ZIP file) to me as an attached file, I could take this as a good Testcase for ReyC and PP (The Program Porting machine, also never released, sorry :-( ).

You shall find the white paper for both of those on my ancient home-page www.thsitc.com, currently under the "company profile" only, sorry again :-(

The advantage for IBM would be:

1.) To have Lexx available for any Java machine.

2.) I will not charge any Cent (Dollars and Euros) for this work ;-) . As I'm in pension now, it would be just for fun :-)

=================================================================================================================================

Am 28.03.2019 um 18:01 schrieb René Jansen:
[...]

When (and If) the 'best Lexx' would be available in 'IBM classic compiled Rexx' from IBM, also this task can be performed, as Rexx2Nrx is fully compatible to 'IBM classic compiled Rexx', e.g. it does honour IBM's Rexx Compiler INCLUDE files.

You may use both Rexx2Nrx and ReyC as a bottom up or top down translator, however.

This does, however, imply that RESERVED WORDS still remain RESERVED (e.g. You may not use IF as a variable name).

I did have a nice experience with NetRexx when I first used it, namely:

do_loop(iterator, from, thru)

... and suddenly the LOOP-statement didn't work again ...

But kindly, MFC did explain me the reason the same day, as always :-)

Thank You Mike, for all Your support You gave me back in 2002, when I did develop Rexx2Nrx back in 2002, in 3 months elapsed time, in IBM compiled classic Rexx!

Happy Easter, all :-)

Thomas.

======================================================================================================

Am 18.04.2019 um 12:46 schrieb Thomas Schneider:

[...]

I am still working a bit at PP-123, my Program Porting Machine, specifically at PLI as the Source Language and NetRexx or COBOL as the output Language.

Could You ask IBM whether they do still have Mike's original PLI code of Lexx in their archives?

When Yes, whether they might be interested to send me this code, with a non-disclosure agreement, of course?

This might be an interesting TestCase for me to test my PLI to NetRexx Transformation.

Only when your time allows, of course.

I am waiting for the upcoming RexxLA Symposium, and Your Solution to the pending module structure of  Java 9-13 in NetRexx.

I am not planning, however, to present anything there. My past presentation did only show that I did start an obviously too giant project.

Kind greetings from Vienna, Thomas Schneider.

Am 18.04.2019 um 13:43 schrieb Thomas Schneider:

[...]

Hello there,

it might be a pity to let the best Lexx formatter for Rexx or PLI simply Die :-(

Mike, don't you have a backup (as always) at  Your famous Speleotrove.com ? :-)

I would need some new TESTCASES for my new upcoming version of PP (my Language Transformation Machine, especially SOURCE in PLI)

Kindly, Thomas Schneider.