new NetRexx versions this week

rvjansen
Dear list members,

with Kermit passing away and no new release of NetRexx in almost 2 years (3.04 was released 2015-07-01) I can image you might be worried about continuity. As you might remember, I earlier stated intentions for future releases, and the deadlines mentioned in those whizzed by at great speed.

There is no doubt that we need more people on this project. If you feel like it, drop me a line.

In the meantime, two new versions of NetRexx will be released this week. As I am currently the only person working on it, it seems fitting to release functionality in smaller chunks, but more often.

NetRexx 3.05 will be a refresher release that among other things, contains a new level of the ecj compiler - enabling compiles for java 1.8 - and other small enhancements. It will have none of the earlier announced new functionality.

NetRexx 3.06 beta will have pass-through Java annotations. It needs good testing and it will be some time before it goes GA. Also, the documentation and some good examples of the new functionality are lacking. This, for example, is where you can contribute.

As I can see it now, 3.07 will have an Address subcomhandler, and 4.00 finally will have Java 9 compatibility.

As it is King’s day tomorrow in the Netherlands, it seems a good day for NetRexx.

best regards,

René.

Re: new NetRexx versions this week

Mike Cowlishaw